Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 07:04 AM

The effects of Covid 19

Hi

The effects are not only short term, they are long term.

They will affect us all.

The reduction in Air Travel is affecting everyone.

Rolls Royce are reducing their work force massively, not the German owned car Manufacture, the UK based jet engine firm.

Highly skilled and well paid employees.

Locally we have a factory which produces parts for Boeing and Airbus.

Orders have dropped by 80%, highly skilled and highly paid engineers losing their jobs.

There is no easy way back from this.

It is affecting every one.

The factories are on shutdown, which has meant two out of three takeaways, the Breakfast cafes have closed permanently.

Our State Pensions are payed out of Tax, not out of a Pension Pot.

Our Private Pensions are paid for out of Dividends and long term Investments.

These have dropped massively in value.

Nobody is immune from this.

Expect to get hit.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 08:20 AM

Re: The effects of Covid 19

All true unfortunately Swimmy, it's going to be a long hard road back from this and take many years..
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
All true unfortunately Swimmy, it's going to be a long hard road back from this and take many years..
Hi

Thanks for that Barry.

I will get hit as many others will.

My plan is to support the UK Economy.

UK Holidays and I will pay more for UK Goods.

I have revised my Bucket List, only one Foreign Holiday, to catch a Billfish.

Every other penny I have will be spent on the UK Economy.
caricature
Devon,England.
caricature is male  caricature has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 09:04 AM

I work in manufacturing of kitchen cabinets's,we are on furlough at the moment,there are tentative signs of reopening albeit in reduced capacity,lord knows what the future holds,I'm lucky in one respect being only three yrs from retirement.Saying that has Swimmy says the private pension has taken a hit,ah well all in it together.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 09:43 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It won't be a road back. It will be a road to a new normality that will be NOTHING like the world we knew.
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
It won't be a road back. It will be a road to a new normality that will be NOTHING like the world we knew.
Hopefully you are right Todgy!!
Maybe we can reshape the future?
But imo , it will be a struggle to do this as the forces against
change are too powerful at present, and most people themselves,
at least the affluent ones, dont seem to want to change?
They are allready worrying about getting their holidays back on
track! One of the biggest drivers of the pandemic!!

Donkeyman! 😟😟😟
Donkeyman
Chatterbox
Melton,United Kingdom
Donkeyman is male  Donkeyman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Thanks for that Barry.

I think you should leave the billfish out of your bucket Swimmy!!
Arent they on the endangered list?

Donkeyman! 😟😟
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by Donkeyman ->
I think you should leave the billfish out of your bucket Swimmy!!
Arent they on the endangered list?

Donkeyman! 😟😟
If I know Swimmy, he'll chuck them back Donkeyman...It's the sport he loves....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Thanks for that Barry.

I've tried to do that myself Swimmy, I buy British (mostly locally sourced) Meat, fish and fruit and veg, and if there was a British equivalent of DIY stuff and clothing I will always choose that, but it's very difficult at times when so much has a Chinese stamp on it (nothing against the chinese) but I wonder why we don't produce things like we used to and give our own people work, which in turn supplies tax for government spending instead of benefits.

The state pension is something I've been thinking about just lately, with all the government aid being dished out I wonder when we will have to think of England and take a cut in pension to help the economy recover. I do feel sorry for all the technicians at Rolls Royce, but I strongly believe that air travel should be brought back down to earth () Apart from bringing this virus to our shores, it is destroying the environment in which we live and is the fastest growing form of transport in the world, and on a clear summers day there seems to be no end to the amount of planes navigating our skies.

Going global is not working, not only does it line the pockets of the extremely wealthy, it puts the human race at risk, Covid 19 is just the first of a long list of problems that will start to blight us in the future. We should take control of our future and make Britain more self contained. I'm not saying we can produce everything ourselves but come on! we have neglected our manufacturing and industry big style, it might cost more to buy British, but if that is the price we must pay to take back our sovereignty, self respect, and independence, so be it.....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-05-2020, 01:55 PM

It does indicate how un-robust the economic structures of the world are in that it all goes tits up (with medium to long term recovery times) so quickly and that even a paltry few weeks has such a devastating effect on things.

I've read about a variety of theories involving economics over the last couple of years. But no matter how you look at them, they are all based on the fundamental fact that it's a pyramidic system of wealth ownership.

Not sure if there's any real alternative (other than a complete global re-boot). But surely there's got to be a better way??

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top