Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 08:12 PM

Germany New LOCKDOWN.

Boris had better put the brakes on.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...6J93Q5w-LDELpU
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 08:40 PM

Re: Germany New LOCKDOWN.

To much too soon. I already think that. No way will I be doing anything different for weeks, not til there are no new cases & no deaths.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 09:26 PM

This illustrates the folly of lifting lockdown. Not good news for Germany but supports PM decision not to be rushed. He and the advisors look harried, the media need to cut them some slack.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-05-2020, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
This illustrates the folly of lifting lockdown. Not good news for Germany but supports PM decision not to be rushed. He and the advisors look harried, the media need to cut them some slack.

I agree, Cinders.

Not a living soul can possibly have all the answers right first time, with such an unexpected and disasterous situation dropped on them. A situation that has come into the life of every single person in the country.
How can anyone have all the answers straight off?

For those who keep condemning everyone else's efforts to keep us afloat, all I can say is - I'd like to see them do any better!
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 12:30 AM

If Germany is feeling the pressure then what will we be like?

The impact of the virus was vastly underestimated by the government back in Jan/Feb. It wasn't taken seriously enough and it was not considered a real threat at first. But the information was there. Then the "herd immunity" message went out. Suddenly two weeks later that changed and we were in lockdown. We were told not to wear masks. Now masks are being advised.

Yes of course nobody has all the answers but when I said back in Feb/March that nobody has all the answers on this particular disease I was told that we had "experts" who knew what they were doing. Well I stand by my assertion that nobody fully understands this disease even now. It's new and it's nasty and we should tread very carefully. The Government would be more respected if they admitted that instead of flapping about with on the hoof policies.

The lockdown itself hasn't been properly managed, people have been crowding in supermarkets and I have seen people visiting one another in groups with absolutely no policing. This is the result of a number of years of policies to remove any central control/guidance and leave state run organisations to work things out as they go along. Cuts and meddling have led us to this situation.

The current message is making people feel they can relax again. I've just seen an ambulance whizz past on the evening dog walk and a coughing from a couple of houses. So I predict that while there may have been an improvement here when people did lock down, we are not going to stay in that position with the relaxation from tomorrow. The reassuring thing I saw tonight was that more people are wearing masks or face coverings. Now why did the message only just go out? Why not weeks ago? What harm would it have done?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 12:37 AM

Do you think everybody would have even been able to buy masks a few weeks ago when the panic buying was at it worst, Annie?
Look what happened with loo rolls.

I agree it is too soon to start relaxing though. We could well come badly unstuck.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 01:21 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Do you think everybody would have even been able to buy masks a few weeks ago when the panic buying was at it worst, Annie?
Look what happened with loo rolls.

I agree it is too soon to start relaxing though. We could well come badly unstuck.
They are not advising people to buy masks now. They are giving advice on how to make them yourself from t shirts etc. They could have done this weeks ago. It's beyond me why they kept using the "science" as an excuse.

Now the message is use your common sense. Well common sense told us all along that a face covering is better than no face covering. The rest of the world locked down, we knew better then we locked down, the rest of the world wore masks and we knew better, etc. It's the spin that we are fed that annoys me.

Unions are up in arms at the go back to work message without any warning or chance to prepare. Seems to be panic and impulse that is driving strategy rather than balanced judgement. I don't feel confidence in the direction of travel. They should have carried out a consultation.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
If Germany is feeling the pressure then what will we be like?

The impact of the virus was vastly underestimated by the government back in Jan/Feb. It wasn't taken seriously enough and it was not considered a real threat at first. But the information was there. Then the "herd immunity" message went out. Suddenly two weeks later that changed and we were in lockdown. We were told not to wear masks. Now masks are being advised.

Yes of course nobody has all the answers but when I said back in Feb/March that nobody has all the answers on this particular disease I was told that we had "experts" who knew what they were doing. Well I stand by my assertion that nobody fully understands this disease even now. It's new and it's nasty and we should tread very carefully. The Government would be more respected if they admitted that instead of flapping about with on the hoof policies.

The lockdown itself hasn't been properly managed, people have been crowding in supermarkets and I have seen people visiting one another in groups with absolutely no policing. This is the result of a number of years of policies to remove any central control/guidance and leave state run organisations to work things out as they go along. Cuts and meddling have led us to this situation.

The current message is making people feel they can relax again. I've just seen an ambulance whizz past on the evening dog walk and a coughing from a couple of houses. So I predict that while there may have been an improvement here when people did lock down, we are not going to stay in that position with the relaxation from tomorrow. The reassuring thing I saw tonight was that more people are wearing masks or face coverings. Now why did the message only just go out? Why not weeks ago? What harm would it have done?
Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
They are not advising people to buy masks now. They are giving advice on how to make them yourself from t shirts etc. They could have done this weeks ago. It's beyond me why they kept using the "science" as an excuse.

Now the message is use your common sense. Well common sense told us all along that a face covering is better than no face covering. The rest of the world locked down, we knew better then we locked down, the rest of the world wore masks and we knew better, etc. It's the spin that we are fed that annoys me.

Unions are up in arms at the go back to work message without any warning or chance to prepare. Seems to be panic and impulse that is driving strategy rather than balanced judgement. I don't feel confidence in the direction of travel. They should have carried out a consultation.
Well said .....

The UK government's response to the pandemic has been an utter shambles so far and has all the signs of continuing .....

Officially, more than 40,000 people in the UK have died after contracting Covid-19

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...al-figures-say

The Office for National Statistics said on Tuesday that 35,044 deaths involving Covid-19 were registered in England and Wales up to 9 May. Adding the latest figures for Scotland and Northern Ireland and more up to date fatalities from the four nations , the total official UK death toll now stands at 40,496.

The figures cement the UK as the worst-affected country in Europe. Italy has recorded 30,739 deaths, Spain 26,744 and France 26,604, according to data collated by Johns Hopkins University (JHU). Germany has recorded 7,661 deaths.
Unofficial estimates of the death toll are over 20% higher (50,000+).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 05:44 AM

Originally Posted by Roxy ->
Boris had better put the brakes on.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/world...6J93Q5w-LDELpU
It is going to be a tricky manoeuvre for any country relaxing restrictions without leading to an out of control second wave or leading to restrictions having to be reimposed.

The Federal government wants the economy back to as near normal as possible (with 10% unemployment) by July, however the states, who have the final say, are being much more cautious especially the eastern states.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-05-2020, 06:10 AM

Hi

We have not done well.

Worst in Europe.

We deserve better.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top