Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:46 AM

Re: Is It Our NHS, Or Not!!

Excuse me AT! I was born in 1948 when the National Health Service first came into being by Bevan and the Labour Party. It was to provide healthcare that was free at the point of delivery. (a saying that most people of our age all know).
I know for a fact that before it came into being, the government employed women to actually interview people to see how much they could afford towards their health treatment.My parents told me that most workers couldn’t even afford the sixpence it cost to see a Doctor!
The NHS changed all that, even though Bevan resigned in protest in 1951 because of the introduction of charges for dentures and glasses. The Tory party played their part too by bringing in charges for prescriptions too.It was only because of Harold Wilson as PM three years later, that ensured the poor had exemption from prescription charges.
Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland have all abolished prescription charges Ony England, with our usual way, have ensured that prescriptions are still paid for.

Again, with respect AT, it is a fallacy to say that the NHS is paid from general taxation. National Insurance contributions are increased to boost NHS funding. If National Insurance or patient charges raise less funding for the NHS than originally estimated, only then is general taxation used to ensure the NHS receives the level of funding it was originally allocated.

Another problem is the lie that National Insurance contributions are now classed as a benefit. Where did they get that idea from? I have never heard of a ‘benefit’ where the recipient has to pay for it first.
The Artful Todger
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
The Artful Todger is male  The Artful Todger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by shropshiregirl ->
Please let me make myself clear. I am not against anyone using the facillities of our wonderful NHS If they reside in the UK, They should have full use of it, but they should not be allowed to use it without paying the same taxes towards it as the indigenous population have to.

As Annie said, no other EU country allows people to come into their country and make immediate use of their health facilities (barring emergencies) without first contributing.

A very sensible move I may say.

The one good thing that will certainly come out of our new points-based system is the fact that we will no longer have to put up with the NHS being abused by Health visitors flying in from all over the world and receiving hospital and doctor treatments for free!
But anyone legally employed and paying tax does pay the same taxes as everybody else.

The NI does NOT pay for the NHS.

NI is in effect a tax on jobs and is added to the government tax income.

In addition the number of years that NI is paid determine how much SARB a person is entitled to when the reach eligible age for SARB.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 01:19 PM

I thought that there was a system whereby foreign visitors could use the NHS but their details would be taken and the costs would be recovered.

It's one of those "now you hear it, now you don't" situations.

Anyone know how it should work, if it exists, and why we don't think it does work?
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
I thought that there was a system whereby foreign visitors could use the NHS but their details would be taken and the costs would be recovered.

It's one of those "now you hear it, now you don't" situations.

Anyone know how it should work, if it exists, and why we don't think it does work?
There is but it's down to hospitals to impose this. It doesn't apply to EU visitors and some other countries from the commonwealth. However there was an article today about waiving (for key workers) the excess £600 or so that non EU immigrants have to pay for NHS treatment. So there is some sort of charging mechanism for non EU. Seems a bit patchwork and subject to local interpretation and decisions.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 10:24 PM

Originally Posted by The Artful Todger ->
But anyone legally employed and paying tax does pay the same taxes as everybody else.

The NI does NOT pay for the NHS.

NI is in effect a tax on jobs and is added to the government tax income.

In addition the number of years that NI is paid determine how much SARB a person is entitled to when the reach eligible age for SARB.
All the money including NI goes into a big pot at the Treasury.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

20-05-2020, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
If we stop some immigrants from accessing all aspects of the NHS, have you given any thought as to what diseases and afflictions you could be releasing unchecked into the general community?
That is one of the reasons they treat foreign visitors.
David P
South Oxfordshire
David P is male  David P has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-05-2020, 11:53 PM

Different approach to the same subject > NHS.
Overseas immigrants who wish to be a nurse in the UK would get (Band 1) salary of £18K and would be ineligible to come. They do not get the £25K until they progress to Band 5. Therefore it is unlikely that the two nurses (One Australian and one Portuguese) who looked after Boris during his stay would be able to come here in the above scenario.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom

21-05-2020, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by David P ->
Different approach to the same subject > NHS.
Overseas immigrants who wish to be a nurse in the UK would get (Band 1) salary of £18K and would be ineligible to come. They do not get the £25K until they progress to Band 5. Therefore it is unlikely that the two nurses (One Australian and one Portuguese) who looked after Boris during his stay would be able to come here in the above scenario.
I think they have a special dispensation for essential workers.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 03:51 AM

Hi

Yes it is our NHS, and yes it should be payed for.

Yes, as Boris says we raise £900 million from the charges.

Where he misled us was that we only raise £90 million from NHS and Care Staff.

We have a huge shortage of Nurses and Carers, 40.000 Nurses alone.

A lot of this is due to Cameron and Osborne who decided to abolish free training for Nurses and charge them.

The charge for NHS Staff and Care staff is often paid by the NHS and Care employers themselves, they are so desperate to employ staff.

This is a nonsense.

It is a self defeating cost which costs us more to administer than we get get in.

Any and all migrant workers who are not NHS or Carers should pay the tax.
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-05-2020, 05:17 AM

Charging people to use the NHS is an administration cost maybe because we have so many immigrants when you even it out the administration cost to so many would outweigh just giving the medical treatment to the lesser figure of who need it

Hope that makes sense....well I know what I mean

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top