Join for free
Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 09:17 PM

Re: Central Heating

Originally Posted by orangutan ->
Glad you're feeling better today, Kal. Or Rudolph, if you prefer
Thank you orangutan - another few days of improving and I'll be out of that Christmas job I'd thought of applying for (how important do you think a good sense of direction is when sled pulling?)
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-10-2013, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Yes, me too b-v. Glad it's not the flu. I use kitchen paper now for nose blowing. When I have a cold I buy packets of the stuff (the cheaper ones) instead of tissues, so much cheaper, and take a roll out with me if day out/working. Well, not worked in ages, but did used to!
Thank you Jazzi - still sniffling a bit but the problem with kitchen roll, it's a lot harsher on the old schnozzle isn't it! I also bought another two packets to replace the ones I got through! If I knew who it was that dreamt up the content of various cold germs, I'd tell them to take a chill pill - that was way over the top in the cold stakes!
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-10-2013, 01:40 PM

Some time ago I accidentally purchased a huge roll of disposable cloths (thought it was kitchen roll) which consists of a very soft fabric type stuff. It is brilliant for cleaning me specs, and wiping nose, wiping sticky fingers etc. find it brilliant for a quick wipe down of kitchen surfaces or cleaning top of cooker. Can be used wet or dry and each sheet lasts a while. Sorry forget the name, but it was at Tesco and in the same area as kitchen rolls etc.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-10-2013, 10:19 PM

Originally Posted by Ophelia ->
Well I don't think economy 7 still exists, but it is some years since I was in the industry!
It does I have it and my storage heating and water are on the night meter
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-10-2013, 07:28 AM

Quite warm here yesterday, t shirt weather really so no heating yet.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 12:52 AM

And so, to get back on track!

Since my last post I have contacted my local MP and laid out my concerns regarding people who are, and who are not, entitled to a new central heating boiler. I neglected to put my full address and telephone number on my original email as I wasn't aware that this was required until I received an automated reply.

However, I have received an email from her offices to ask me to provide this information so, if I get any further responses, I will let you know. I said words to the effect that there was a loop-hole in the system and that not all pensioners had thousands saved up. I outlined my own personal circumstances and held nothing back, and asked if this apparent loop-hole might be addressed.

I kept the email very polite, but also highlighted why it was wrong for ALL people on benefits to qualify for such an important household appliance, most especially the elderly. Methinks the old means testing wasn't such a bad idea after all.

I'll let you know how I get on.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 01:07 AM

Good luck and hope you get a positive response !

Never understand why means testing is such a bad thing BTW it does ensure the right people get things.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-10-2013, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Good luck and hope you get a positive response !

Never understand why means testing is such a bad thing BTW it does ensure the right people get things.
Indeed Julie, you're right there, especially in this day and age.
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire

26-10-2013, 10:39 PM

An update for you. I have now received a reply to this email I sent to my local MP which came as a total surprise:

Me to lisa.nandy.mp@parliament.uk
17 Oct

Dear Ms Nandy

In September of last year I had new loft insulation and cavity wall insulation installed in my home under the government scheme, for which I was very grateful.

I looked into the possibility of having a new central heating boiler under the same scheme to replace my 40 year old boiler, but was told that one has to be ON benefits to receive such an important household item.

My situation is this. In September this year my old boiler was put AT RISK and, although not classed as totally condemned, I have been urged not to use it any longer. I am on a full pension but, as I live alone and can not survive on just this amount, I have continued to work part-time after the official retiring age, and I will be 64 in December.

Is it assumed by the government that anybody that has officially retired has sufficient funds to cover the enormous cost of a new central heating boiler? This is not a sarcastic question - just a question - as there appears to be a loop-hole in this wonderful scheme. The only way I could afford a new boiler would be to get a bank loan, which I'm not prepared to do as I've no wish to put myself into debt.

I've worked full time for 45 years (some of it for the MoD) and for the last four part-time and have never been on any benefits so, it would appear that, because of that, I don't qualify. There appears to be a bit of a loop-hole here and one which perhaps could be addressed. As my local MP I have written this to highlight the fact that not everybody gets a new boiler despite their circumstances, but because of them. I've never sought any benefit of any kind off the government in my 49 working years so I am appealing to you to "hopefully" take this on board.

=============================================

Today I received a letter through my door with House of Commons on the top left of the envelope, and it reads:

Dear Ms ......

Thank you for your letter concerning the Warm Front scheme.

I have written to the Minister in charge of this, the Rt Hon Ed Davey MP, to see if he can provide more information on these issues. I will write to you again when I have received a reply.

Yours sincerely
Lisa Nandy MP

=============================================

At least I got a reply, which is something I certainly didn't expect.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

27-10-2013, 12:22 PM

Hope you get what you need ! Sounds like you have decent MP so you might !

Page 7 of 8 « First < 5 6 7 8 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top