Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2013, 10:55 PM

Never forget your roots.

Is this good advice, or should you take closure on the past, and say, this is a whole new world, and grab what you can, when you can. To encompass all, some may not need to grab because forebears, had already grabbed and passed it on, this aside, are you aware of your roots.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 08:01 AM

Re: Never forget your roots.

One of those expressions that is either totally meaningless or means whatever anybody wants it to mean.

I was born in Cheltenham in Gloucestershire I lived there until I was 5 then moved to Kent what on earth about this has any relevance to me now over half a century later and half a world away?

Obviously it is part of a strand of circumstances that has made me what I am now but what do I need to remember about it that is so important?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 08:39 AM

I've never been sure it means where you were brought up or born and took it's meaning to be more about people/family.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

08-04-2013, 09:06 AM

I think it is a meaningless expression too.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:36 AM

Wouldn't it depend on whether or not you are fond/proud of your roots? Although I left England around 20 years ago, I will always, in my heart, be English and that is where my roots began - but as roots are wont to do - they spread and encompass other places and set down roots anew!
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:41 AM

My uncle (mother's brother) emigrated to Australia when he was a young man. Many years later, he came on a visit to attend 'The gathering of the Clans' . While here, he went to visit my mother who of course offered him a whisky. She then asked if he'd like anything in it and he replied

"Woman, have you forgotten I'm Scottish"!
shirley
Gloucestershire
shirley is female  shirley has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 09:42 AM

I think this is a very strange one. I have moved about the UK so only class the place i live in now as my home.
Since i got married 18 years i have not been back to the town i was born or lived happily for 38 years.
I know my dads family is from Scotland but that is as far as i want or need to take it.
I surpose if you move abroad then it would be different and you would then think of the fact you are british or not.
One to think about.
BowieEyes
Nottinghamshire, UK
BowieEyes is female  BowieEyes has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 10:03 AM

It means alot to me. For the last 6 years I have researched my family tree and have found out so much about my Ancestors. I am proud to have come from the family I have. I have also found quite alot of cousins from alot of the names I came from Luckily the records now online are a great source of finding your past families. I have researched two of my names back to 1550 and 4 to 1665. Nearly all my families come from Yorkshire and only one came from outside in Cumbria. I have in the last 2 months only just found out that my family from Cumbria originally came from Scotland and having found a distant cousin on line who has already done the research now found that they were border Reivers and they are registered in 1374 in the valley of Liddesdale. So it can be quite an exciting experience doing your Family Tree and the saying Never forget your roots can have a large meaning. I am proud to be from Yorkshire and it means alot to me to have found hundreds of my forebares living there on the church and bishop transcripts.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 11:41 AM

I think if I had some roots Id be proud of them, but I have none , never knew either of my mum or dads famlies although both were large my mum one of eight. I moved from the place I was born at six months old and had nine homes before the age of 14 all over the world. Since then moved another 7 times up to now. Im just like a wild flower blowing in the wind !!!
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-04-2013, 12:03 PM

Roots can mean your socioeconomic origins, having witnessed real poverty as a child has meant for me chasing great wealth has never been a priority, and having lived on a 60s housing estate makes me greatful to live in a quiet village.
Others will have taken such a start as a motivator to accumulate great wealth, which avenue is taken is probably dependant on how you view the message stored in your origins.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top