Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 04:18 PM

Re: Never forget your roots.

I touch mine up regularly! Nice& Easy !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 04:19 PM

Forget the 'Nice' - just take it 'Easy' with that stuff gal....
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 04:49 PM

What's wrong with forgetting your roots? What's so special about a town or city you happened to be born in?
Rachel
Chatterbox
UK
Rachel is female  Rachel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->

I'm using stuff from Poundland

A great many of us spend time researching their family history and trying to find their roots. Don't think it helps in any way but it can be fascinating
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I've never been sure it means where you were brought up or born and took it's meaning to be more about people/family.
I also think it relates more to people and family rather than location. And I don't think it is meaningless, but just reminds us of some factors that make us what we are.
Cheshire Cat
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
Cheshire Cat is female  Cheshire Cat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-04-2013, 10:06 PM

I was born and bred a Yorkshire lass. Even though I've lived in Cheshire since my mid-teens, I still have that feeling of going home when I'm on Yorkshire soil. So there, I suppose, are my own roots.

Going further back with my family tree they all came from Derbyshire, Lincolnshire, Cambridgeshire and Surrey. I have found none that aren't English. So my longer roots are most definitely English.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

10-04-2013, 09:04 AM

I like the island of my birth and try to visit once a year, if possible. However, I wouldn't wish to live there again. I am a mixture of different nationalities, my mother was English, my father was half Irish with a lot of French influence. I have a British passport, but for fun in 2008 I also added to it Irish Nationality because I was entitled to do so. I think it is much more interesting to be a mixture of different cultures. My family history on my father's side can be traced right back to the 12th century. A famous historical figure was apparently our ancestor, my family home was built on the foundations of his property. This is a matter of interest but I can't say it has any influence on the way I see life.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-04-2013, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by Twizard ->
me too.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

19-04-2013, 06:38 PM

Having roots for me is not so much a physical thing but psychological thing. Knowing from whence you came gives us identity even if we are not physically there any longer. I have visited my birth town several times over long distances and still feel an instant connection. And you really cannot discard your roots, you may think you have but they are always with you.

of course 'finding your roots' where I am in OZ takes on a totally different meaning!
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 02:14 AM

roots are something personal only
to the person but can understand
the meaning behind it.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top