Join for free
Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 10:35 AM

Re: Rolf Harris arrested over sexual offences

It may not be 'new' but we are supposed to be living in a 'civilised' society... Children need to be protected - they are our future.. there is enough cruelty in this world for youngsters and us to contend with.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 10:40 AM

My 'new' comment was in relation to Brown's post which seemed to imply that it's nothing more than a slapped bottom or two that's taken out of context. Some men (but by no means all) do have, I'm afraid, a predilection for young children - the fact that it has gone on for so long (centuries) speaks volumes.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 10:41 AM

I imagine that there isn't a man alive who, as a teenager, didn't grope a girl of similar age and it will probably always be so. It's knowing when to stop that makes the difference. Do you agree ?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 10:45 AM

I do agree Alan but when it comes a fully cooked man being attracted to very young girls, it's disturbing. I'm sure it's some kind of throw-back attitude but why it seems to affect so many I find bewildering.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 10:52 AM

I dont think it is a throw-back attitude Karen - these incidents became prevalent when the standards changed dramatically in Television - film and the Internet.. When you were at school - were you pestered to disrobe for everyone to see - its par for the course now in schools, to be shown on mobile phones and the internet....
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-04-2013, 11:02 AM

I don't think they did chage Pats - it's always been there but hidden; if there's one thing that the Old Boy Network is seriously good at it's covering each others backs. When standards became relaxed (Page 3 girls as an example and anything involving Quentin Tarantino), those with a desire to view such things as and when (bribing aspiring models/actresses to sleep with them wasn't enough any more) tried to normalise it all and, they did. Mary Whitehouse tried to warn where it will all lead and, with hindsight, she was quite right: it has.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 11:05 AM

While not in any way belittling the accusations that might have been made, I do wonder what the point is of bringing up all these "historic" cases at this point. In the vast majority of cases, I imagine that there will be no actual evidence and no way that a successful court case will be made against the accused. All we have is one person's word against another - how could any jury reasonable adjudicate on a situation where there was no objective evidence and it all allegedly happened 30+ years ago. Even in the case of the appalling Jimmy Savile, how many of the allegations against him would actually have stood up in court? Very few I imagine.

Having said that, there must be hundreds of rock stars (and ex-rock stars) panicking at the moment at the thought that some of their young groupies from the '60's and '70's might accuse them of sexual abuse. After all, I don't suppose they asked to see birth certificates before taking advantage of them at the time.

To me it would make much more sense to use our time and energy (and that of the police) in (a) making sure that such things do not happen now!; and (b) ensuring that current abusers (such as the grooming gangs in Rochdale and Oxford) are caught and put away for a very long time.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

19-04-2013, 11:11 AM

The problem, as I see it Mick, is that it has to be seen to be a recurring problem as that is the only way it will ever be effectively dealt with. If it just appears to be random cases, who will pay that much attention? Who will hold to account those who covered it all up? Does society need people like that in positions of influence? I suspect a lot of this is about all those things.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Children have been mentioned in this thread but I urge caution with these accusations as the police have not arrested him for offences against children it's grow adult women who have accused him. No children involved in any way.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-04-2013, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
My God how can you honestly say Jake the peg is anything to do with the way he thinks,
The three legged man was round before Jake the peg by Rolf Harris, it was an old circus trick by clowns.
Once again it is trial by media, wait and see what happens.
Exactly Wrinkly!!
In the light of all the expense, allegations and recommendations, what really was the point of the Leveson Inquiry I wonder 'cos it still doesn't curb this kind of "Journalism" does it?! stevmk2

Page 2 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top