Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

21-04-2013, 06:27 AM

Post War Britain Circa 2013

I’m sure most of us can remember the many changes that have taken place in this ‘green and pleasant land’ since the end of the World War II. And we would have all made our own contributions to post war development, prosperity and beyond in different ways. I do wonder how we are faring now some 50, 60, 70 years on as we look back on all the changes and what we feel about them?

Once a nation of major industries that supplied materials to the rest of the world – now defunct

Once a nation where children accepted discipline and respected parents – partially defunct

Once a nation with the best health service in the world – now defunct

Once a nation of a strong farming industry – now defunct

Once a nation of proud British cultures and traditions – now defunct

Once a nation with a strong home grown hospitality industry – now defunct

Once a nation with strong and vibrant rural communities – now defunct

Perhaps Napoleans statement that ‘Britain is a nation of shopkeepers’ has finally come home to roost?

I don’t wish to sound despondent as you may suppose but to consider the realism of British life today. There is I believe much that is still ‘green and pleasant’ in this land and watching the ‘Wainwright Walks’ recently on TV reinforces this notion. I suppose five year olds and ten year olds and 15 year olds simple get on with the life they have in the present moment, whilst we have seen much broader vistas and changes. The young will cope in their own ways and with the help of others but how about us – how do we cope with all this change?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:36 AM

Re: Post War Britain Circa 2013

Things change Mindbender; many things are much better than they were when we were young. My standard of living is so much higher than that of my parents and the same would apply to most of us I imagine. Who would have heard of a teenager taking a year off to travel the world in our day. Many nasty diseases almost eliminated and life threatening conditions which can now be rectified. In spite of all the changes I think that life is so much better today than 70 years ago.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

21-04-2013, 06:39 AM

fair comments Alan - trade the old for the new! - I like your robust mindset!
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 08:48 AM

You could apply most of those to Australia too and I think it's a western world phenomenon. What interests me is how and why it happened. hat do you think?
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 08:58 AM

However good things are there is nothing to be gained by ignoring the bad aspects. Change is easy, improvement is difficult. There are lots of undesirable aspects of modern society that are much worse than in the past and shouldn't be ignored just because some things are better. It's good to be "positive" and optimistic but it sometimes saves people from addressing the problems.

You could apply most of those points to Australia too and I think it's a western world phenomenon. What interests me is how and why they have happened. One is most certainly worse behaviour in schools and poor parenting even among educated parents. Another is the addiction to computers, iphones etc which is definitely having detrimental affects. Another, is as you point out poorer government services because of the current belief that everything should have a monetary value and make a profit.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 09:47 AM

You are quite right Jean. I think the most important thing which has worsened in my lifetime is people's behaviour. Manners and integrity seem much worse today than in my childhood.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

21-04-2013, 10:40 AM

I would disagree with some of your points JW - OZ still has thriving industries - coal; uranium;diamonds; iron ore; cattle and sheep. It also has a pretty good health service too in most places and I think the OZ home grown hospitality industry does quite well too.

We were part of post-war Britain or other colonies and discipline was still fairly tight for youngsters until the wave of 'rock and roll' came across from USA and then we ran riot. I still remember the Teddy Boy era in my home town of Liverpool. Adults had then lost control of the younger ones.

Then as someone as mentioned we slowly became more prosperous and money started flowing more easily and youngsters became more independent and maybe just maybe parents were also relaxing post war and allowing more freedom? [and then the chastity belt fell off!]
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

21-04-2013, 12:04 PM

I have no wish to go back to the past, the present is far preferable!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 12:59 PM

Give me the past anyday - had enough to get by 'life' was so much better then.. people 'better' then, clothes, music - 'everything....'
mindbender
mindbender is male 

21-04-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Give me the past anyday - had enough to get by 'life' was so much better then.. people 'better' then, clothes, music - 'everything....'
I like your music babe!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top