Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 08:41 AM

Re: Post War Britain Circa 2013

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
I still remember the Teddy Boy era in my home town of Liverpool. Adults had then lost control of the younger ones.
I don't remember Teddy Boys but have vague recollection of Mods and Rockers (as my brother was a Mod - whatever they were) and the difference between today and then was the mindset of the youngsters - conflict was not about maiming or killing their adversaries; it was a good beating that stopped before any real harm was done (by the majority). Parents supported the police.

I remember a forum I was on once where a thread was started about FMs youth and the question was: when you were a child and got into trouble, would you rather have been taken to the police station for a telling off or have the police take you home and tell your parents. The overwhelming response was to be taken to the police station as that would mean only one telling off.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

22-04-2013, 08:49 AM

seems to me that when we measure the quality of our lives by how many cars we have, coloured tv's, holidays abroad and yet miss out on helping neighbours in distress then we don't really have quality only quantity.

Once in those green and pleasant rural lands of Uk there was a quality of life measured by day to day activities that people often did together - no one was lonely. Walk through the lonely streets of Britains cities and you will find plenty of lonely people. Concrete and steel doesn't equate to quality - wood and straw do!
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

22-04-2013, 09:16 AM

I think some people view the past with rose coloured spectacles!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 09:37 AM

seems to me that when we measure the quality of our lives by how many cars we have, coloured tv's, holidays abroad and yet miss out on helping neighbours in distress then we don't really have quality only quantity.

Once in those green and pleasant rural lands of Uk there was a quality of life measured by day to day activities that people often did together - no one was lonely. Walk through the lonely streets of Britains cities and you will find plenty of lonely people. Concrete and steel doesn't equate to quality - wood and straw do!
I couldn't agree more with all of that; I think too many people have become selfish and self-absorbed and they fail to see what can be gained by being part of things. I remember a song by Ralph McTell (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DiWomXklfv8 for those who don't know it) and, of course, Eleanor Rigby by the Beatles. Both of those songs had quite an impact on me so I ended becoming a bit of a do-gooder.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

22-04-2013, 09:38 AM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
I think some people wear blinkers in the present.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

22-04-2013, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
well parried BV!
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

22-04-2013, 10:21 AM

well parried BV!
Thank you
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
Hear hear, we forget that when we were young:
  • children were crippled by polio,
  • rickets was not that uncommon,
  • contraception was unreliable,
  • men could beat and rape their wives
  • abortion was illegal & women died from back yard abortions
  • homosexuality was a gaol-able offence,
  • nuclear war was a constant threat
  • people died from smog/pollution
  • 48 hour working week
  • 2 weeks holiday
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
TOUCHE' gal ....
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 02:31 PM

Bruce - could not agree with you or Willow....
1) Children are 'stifled' by the paedophile threat...
2) Men 'still' rape and abuse their wives.. womens refuges are full of victims..
3) Pollution is a big problem and will get worse...
4) Boys - men - kicked to death for 'no' reason'
5) Women - raped - assaulted...
6) Burglaries rife - we used to have our key on a piece of string inside letterbox - everyone knew that...
7) Feeling isolated
8) Older folks fear going out....
9) Traffic congestion
Could go on.......

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top