Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 05:41 PM

Re: who to vote for

no one
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:15 PM

Thinking about this post further, I would like to see voting compulsory for every eligible voter with fines for those who do not vote. I also think the idea of proportional representation is well worth trying (as per Bruce's post on the Australian system). It does seem much fairer than our first past the post system. I would not want to see another coalitiion government as we have now. The conservatives and lib.dems got together, but they don't seem to share power to me, and I don't believe this coalition should have happened. It was not what people voted for and proportional representation could have avoided this happening.
viking vic
west yorkshire
viking vic is male  viking vic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:19 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I agree with you 100% Fran, I've been on about that for years and I don't blame people for not voting considering the bunch they have to pick from, all tarred with the same 'Party' brush, maybe if everybody refused to vote they would have to rethink the whole thing, give me a candidate who puts the people and the country before the party, is proven to be honest and not greedy and they will have my vote, but I might as well dream here as in bed, it will never happen.
totally agree something will have to happen big style if the system is to change there again it could do in the near future things are happening across the EU in Asia and other countries and the youth +the next generation might come up with idea's for a better way
viking vic
west yorkshire
viking vic is male  viking vic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:31 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
There are a few things Australia does very well and it's electoral system is one of them.

Voting is compulsory so you get nearly 100% turnout, No one can quibble with the result and you don't get the unseemly sight of old ladies being dragged kicking and screaming to polling stations by party members in fleets of cars. Even if people just number down the paper (the donkey vote) it is still a vote and deserves to be counted.

Elections are always held on a Saturday.

Voting is preferential or in the case of most state elections optional preferential. This means that no matter who you vote for your vote is not wasted as in the stupid first past the post system. Basically you put numbers in sequence starting from 1 next to each candidate's name. The winner is the candidate who gets 50% of the vote plus 1.

How it works is explained here

Each jurisdiction has an upper and lower house (except Queensland) all elected. Some state governments have fixed four year terms, the federal government lower house has a three year term (again I think much better that Britain's 5 year term) while the senate is a 6 year term but half are up for election every 3 years. It is possible for a government to call a double dissolution (ie all senate seats are up for election) if bills are blocked in the senate BUT few are brave enough because the lower quota required allows small parties more chance of winning a seat. - It has only happened half a dozen times since the demise of the dinosaurs and again it stops extreme legislation getting through since these days rarely does a major party have control of the upper house. It leads to much better government.

Britain could do well to imitate it if it ever becomes a democracy.

yes bruce i never looked at another system other than ( like you say ) our dinosaur out dated 18th century system when you put it down like you have even old thicko like me understands it very well
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Great idea Arfa - could you ensure it happens please......
If only -eh.....
I think the big fine should do it.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-04-2013, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
We are a democracy, problem is getting the lazy B's off their backsides to vote.
I think the only thing that should not be democratic, is the right to vote, make it compulsory with a very large fine if you don't go.
You don't have to vote for anybody you don't want to, you just scrap your vote, but I believe people will be more thoughtful to whom they give their vote to.
Hi Wrinkly, what would be the point of making folks without any conviction in any of the candidates vote, (even to the point of ballot destruction) why force folks into a position of hypocrisy.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
We are a democracy, problem is getting the lazy B's off their backsides to vote.
I think the only thing that should not be democratic, is the right to vote, make it compulsory with a very large fine if you don't go.
You don't have to vote for anybody you don't want to, you just scrap your vote, but I believe people will be more thoughtful to whom they give their vote to.
As long as Britain has an unelected House of Lords by definition it cannot claim to be a democracy.

de·moc·ra·cy
/diˈmäkrəsē/
Noun

A system of government by the whole population or all the eligible members of a state, typically through elected representatives.
A state governed in such a way.
There are some things which are a civic duty - jury duty is one and voting should be another. Think whether you would like to be tried by a jury of volunteers then consider whether a government elected by these same volunteers is a representative government.

While voting is compulsory in reality all that is compulsory is turning up at a polling station and getting your ballot papers (and your name crossed off the roll) what you do with them after that is up to you. Some people just write comments on the paper and therefore vote informal BUT the scrutineers from each party note what they say (unless just plain obscene I guess).
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-04-2013, 06:41 AM

Just to prove my political credentials here I am chatting to the Chief Minister of Penang, Lim Guan Eng, at Batu Lancang market yesterday. He was out campaigning for the 5th May election, I was having a rather pleasant lunch of Char Koay Teow and Tiger beer when he stopped by for my advice.

His bodyguards don't look happy.
pokertom
Mids,
pokertom is male  pokertom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 02:47 PM

Compulsory voting is not a good idea really . Its ok saying if you cant make up your mind then scrap your vote so you may as well 'stopped at home' as they / we do now. Democracy still works .I'm deff not voting this year as I don't trust anyone 'period', they all have their own great ideas or lies as they should be called but in all they just want to be the Mr of the house. I will just sit this one out. Politics is such a bad topic as we all have our own beliefs and arguments we can't win
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by viking vic ->
yes bruce i never looked at another system other than ( like you say ) our dinosaur out dated 18th century system when you put it down like you have even old thicko like me understands it very well

Fran matey, there is a way - MPs at the moment are REPRESENTATIVES - i.e. they merely represent their constituents but vote according to how they (or their party's whips) determine they SHOULD vote.

If we changed the system so that MPs were, instead of Representatives, DELEGATES - i.e their constituents would MANDATE them how they should vote on a specific issue.

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top