Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
anniemuldoon
N Cumbria
anniemuldoon is female  anniemuldoon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 10:23 PM

Re: Doctor's Want To Get Rid Of Aggressive Gene

I dont agree at all... why cant they leave well alone,it may be called progress but is it really.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 05:59 AM

Personally I would rather be rid of the errant apostrophe.

All traits have good and bad sides, eg stubborn - assertive

They all have their place otherwise evolution would have rid us of them.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
well unfortunately there is more to aggression than genes - the concept of the xyy syndrome has been around for a long time - as long as I was a teenager and that was a long time ago!

latest research has discovered 'aggressive chemicals' in the brain of some individuals. Some individuals apparently can be switched on to homicidal aggression but incidents in life which in normal circumstances in you and I may just trigger some irritation or even mirth but to these unusual individuals it triggers off homicidal behaviors.

brain scans have been done and reproduced on video screens so unusual chemical activities in the brains of those who develop uncontrollable rage can be seen in different color configurations.

Where does it come from - ah ah - that is the mystery - it is in the brain but is it nature or nurture - the old dilemma - does my upbringing cause it or my genes - so here we are back to genes.

but controlling chemicals in the brain is just as controversial as controls genes!
I agree with you Mindbender; of course there is much more to what causes aggression and differing levels of aggression in individuals and what will (or won't) trigger violent aggression in some and not another than can be laid at the door of our genetic inheritance. The Xyy chromosome syndrome (if syndrome is the right word) is an established fact rather than a concept as are other chromosome deviations/abnormalities.

Varying and fluctuating levels of chemicals in our bodies/brains can (and will) have an effect on our behaviour (sometimes quite a dramatic effect) and maintaining a stable balance is vital for our well-being. Brain damage may also be a factor to figure in when thinking about what may cause aggression, as well as ilicit drug use, external influences/environment and how we have been treated as we grow and develop into adults. I think "nurture and nature" work hand in hand and nurture can be manipulated to make the best of what someone has been given by nature.

Fortunately, for most people our bodies are very capable at keeping just the right balance of the cocktail of chemicals in our body and our system will add and remove chemcals according to need. We are not even aware that it is happening all through our lives. I think most activity and especially emotion is governed by a chemical reaction of some sort, with resultant brain activity which is measurable (if we are tied up to a machine to illustrate). Each individual is made up of a cocktail of chemicals whch is unique to that individual). I think it is quite marvellous that for the vast majority of the time and for the vast majority of people, an individual balance and control is automatically maintained within what are considered "normal" parameters and everything works together very well. If something goes wrong and there is an imbalance then there are many drugs which will help maintain or redress the balance and fortunately we can make good use of them, (even though there may be side-effects sometimes).

I don't think we should go removing a gene to solve a problem with aggression - it's far too simplistic and I believe it would have a devastingly harmful effect. I am no expert, but the thought of this happening is quite worrying to me.

As for controlling chemicals in the brain (I assume you mean with drugs) - Surely, it is routine practice for many problems - if someone is depressed a doctor will give them a drug/pill/ chemical in an attempt to alleviate symptoms - every time someone gets drunk they alter the chemcals in their brain - What about the pills commonly known as uppers and downers, pot, speed, morphine, cocaine - even glue sniffing - and so on and so on. Even a simple pain killer will effect some chemical alteration in our system.

Responsible treatment with drugs for a problem should not always be thought of as controversial. It is so commonplace these days and for many is to be considered routine.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->

As for controlling chemicals in the brain (I assume you mean with drugs) - Surely, it is routine practice for many problems - if someone is depressed a doctor will give them a drug/pill/ chemical in an attempt to alleviate symptoms

Responsible treatment with drugs for a problem should not always be thought of as controversial. It is so commonplace these days and for many is to be considered routine.
BIB - therein, for me, lies the problem. As you have said: doctors will hand out anti-depressants without first discovering whether or not the depression/anxiety is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain (for which medication will work) or if the depression/anxiety is caused by external factors (in which case, anti-depressants are unlikely to work); I think doctors can become complacent about handing out bog-standard responses and prescriptions without fully investigating the causes first. Many anti-depressants and sleeping tablets can permanently alter a person's brain wave pattern which means you end up on them for life (basically, you have become an addict - this is why, now, there are limits placed on how long you would normally be prescribed something; however, many people can become addicted within a few days so the damage is already done).
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

29-04-2013, 02:00 AM

you have just entered the great realm of psychology -vs- medicine and they do not make good bedfellows. Put in simple terms doctor go for the quick fix - medication or the knife - whilst psychologists go for what they consider is the better fix but longer term treatment - where the patient is assisted to 'fix' themselves for good! - Medication is so tempting!
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 02:39 AM

First: I don't think it correct to assume aggression = criminal behaviour.

I agree there can be many causes for aggressive behaviour. The one that surprised me recently was hypoglycemia. There has been a remarkable and positive change in personality in someone close to me who quit drinking 8-12 cans of Coke per day. No more sudden outbursts or bad temper. Perhaps he has a gene for aggression which was triggered by this condition. I don't like the thought of radical surgery to try controlling it though.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

29-04-2013, 02:52 AM

I think we need to distinguish the difference between what has always been recognized as a normal human trait [in males more than females] and that is aggression - long required to protect the family and hunt for food. but I may have mentioned previously or some other thread [god all these topics are confusing me!] that there are conditions predominantly in males [why are we always getting it in the neck?] were there are either abnormal chromosomal structuring or excessive chemicals in the brain causing extreme aggression - this is considered abnormal
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 03:00 AM

I think we need to distinguish the difference between what has always been recognized as a normal human trait [in males more than females] and that is aggression - long required to protect the family and hunt for food.
Yes - a certain level of aggression is desirable and necessary to survival.

Now if they can identify, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a gene that causes spousal abuse or pedophilia I'm all for supporting surgery to remove them. (Not possible, I know.)
mindbender
mindbender is male 

29-04-2013, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Yes - a certain level of aggression is desirable and necessary to survival.

Now if they can identify, beyond a shadow of a doubt, a gene that causes spousal abuse or pedophilia I'm all for supporting surgery to remove them. (Not possible, I know.)
all may one day be possible with blood tests - see my post under the disabled man who committed suicide
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 10:38 AM

I think we need to distinguish the difference between what has always been recognized as a normal human trait [in males more than females] and that is aggression - long required to protect the family and hunt for food. but I may have mentioned previously or some other thread [god all these topics are confusing me!] that there are conditions predominantly in males [why are we always getting it in the neck?] were there are either abnormal chromosomal structuring or excessive chemicals in the brain causing extreme aggression - this is considered abnormal
Females have always been capable of aggression and often more deadly than that of their male counterparts (take a pride of lions for example: a male is at the head of the pride - only as long as the females tolerate him and he does his job well; if he doesn't, he cast out and has to fend for himself; ditto with primates). Human females, through male selection, lost that ability or had it diluted over generations. The main difference between men and women, as I understand it, is that women are not prone to random acts of violence and they are not as territorial as men.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top