Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 11:04 AM

Re: Doctor's Want To Get Rid Of Aggressive Gene

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
BIB - therein, for me, lies the problem. As you have said: doctors will hand out anti-depressants without first discovering whether or not the depression/anxiety is caused by a chemical imbalance in the brain (for which medication will work) or if the depression/anxiety is caused by external factors (in which case, anti-depressants are unlikely to work); I think doctors can become complacent about handing out bog-standard responses and prescriptions without fully investigating the causes first. Many anti-depressants and sleeping tablets can permanently alter a person's brain wave pattern which means you end up on them for life (basically, you have become an addict - this is why, now, there are limits placed on how long you would normally be prescribed something; however, many people can become addicted within a few days so the damage is already done).
I didn't say doctors will hand out anti-depressants without investigating what someone is presenting with. You are right ben-varrey endogenous depression and reactive depression are both classifications but both will alter the chemistry in the brain and appropriate medication will help with both, although it doesn't happen instantaneously by taking a pill. There is now a widely held view that the demarkation between endogenous and reactive depression is blurred and that the two frequently overlap.
I think a doctor will always make a calculated diagnosis before prescribing appropriaely and there are many drugs which can help. Sometimes, we can't always heal ourselves and in many cases depression is helped by a combination of medication and therapy, which is often the ideal. Medicaton doesn't get rid of depression, but it does help people to cope and function whllst they recover or stabilise.
Speaking personally, I think that these days, when a diagnosis has been established, I would not be too concerned about adiction. I would be confident taking a drug for a period of time, in a dosage which has been specifically prescribed for me. I have not heard of someone actually become addicted within a few days of starting a course of anti-depressant and being damaged as a result - I believe they usually take a couple of weeks or so to begin to have any effect and they are quite safe. When people come off medicaton they often do so by reducing the dosage gradually so that it is not noticed.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

29-04-2013, 01:20 PM

really?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
The main difference between men and women, as I understand it, is that women are not ...as territorial as men.
They're even territorial in the home. Try moving the furniture, touching the remote, or suggesting the socket set and wrenches might be stored somewhere other than the dining room table. And don't ever ask if you can switch sides of the bed.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
I didn't say doctors will hand out anti-depressants without investigating what someone is presenting with.
But they do hand them out as a first course of action without investigating, fully, what the problem is; you highlighted this by stating, in your post,

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Surely, it is routine practice for many problems - if someone is depressed a doctor will give them a drug/pill/ chemical in an attempt to alleviate symptoms

It is so commonplace these days and for many is to be considered routine.
I have not heard of someone actually become addicted within a few days of starting a course of anti-depressant and being damaged as a result - I believe they usually take a couple of weeks or so to begin to have any effect and they are quite safe. When people come off medicaton they often do so by reducing the dosage gradually so that it is not noticed.
People don't take anti-depressants for a couple of days - it is usually at least two - three weeks before the doctor can ascertain whether there has been a change or not in a person's mood level. The researches have had to produce a liquid form of the drugs so that withdrawal can be done at an extremely low rate for those who have developed symptoms of addiction (to the withdrawal). Some people will come off them quite easily - others won't.

Some interesting reading for anyone who might be interested:

http://www.steps2rehab.com/addiction...tidepressants/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Selecti...take_inhibitor
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
And don't ever ask if you can switch sides of the bed.
I'm glad I'm not the only one that has encountered that particular one! What's that about
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 01:43 PM

Ben-varey said
But they do hand them out as a first course of action without investigating, fully, what the problem is; you highlighted this by stating, in your post,

Aerolor's reply
I didn't say I believe doctors will hand out anti-depressants without investigating what someone is presenting with and then making a calculated diagnosis. I think I was quite careful in stressing that, although I did use depression as an example. When I said “conditions” I wasn’t just thinking of depressive conditions, but was thinking generally in relation to the many “conditions” for which a doctor will diagnose and then prescribe medication. In this context, I think prescribing medication is routine practice (after a calculated diagnosis, of course). Maybe we will have to agree to disagree on that point.

Ben-varrey said
People don't take anti-depressants for a couple of days - it is usually at least two - three weeks before the doctor can ascertain whether there has been a change or not in a person's mood level. The researches have had to produce a liquid form of the drugs so that withdrawal can be done at an extremely low rate for those who have developed symptoms of addiction (to the withdrawal). Some people will come off them quite easily - others won't.

Aerolor's reply
I read you as originally saying that "people can become addicted after a few days and then the damage is done". I am not sure if that is so.

I know that it takes probably more than 2/3 weeks to see any change and/or improvement and I said that. Very often it is recommended that people take an anti-depressant for 6 months or so to effect a change.

I don't think we are actually disagreeing on everything here ben-varrey, but maybe we are getting a bit bogged down over what can only be a general discussion about the usage of prescribed drugs and the effects of appropriate or inappropriate prescribing. It may also be that I am prepared to put my trust in the abilities of (most) doctors and clinicians. Probably my experiences have been a little more positive than some other posters.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
They're even territorial in the home. Try moving the furniture, touching the remote, or suggesting the socket set and wrenches might be stored somewhere other than the dining room table. And don't ever ask if you can switch sides of the bed.
We never had any problems about which side of the bed we sleep on, tradition decrees that the woman sleeps on the mans left side, no matter which part of the room the bed is in, in the old cottages many years ago the door used to always be on the left side with the baby cot, allowing the woman to care for the baby without disturbing her hard working husband who needed all the sleep her could get for work in the morning, don't blame me I'm only passing on what I was told by my ancestors.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 03:53 PM

Ah Jem - trust you to come up with a doosey....

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top