Join for free
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 12:01 PM

For those living in Spain

I know there are at least a couple of you (and probably a few more!) living in Spain, and wonder if I could pick your brains a bit.
I am considering the possibility of a move there in the future, although am by no means definite about it. But taking into account the cost of living and the weather, I could be a lot better off there.Particularly since the recent change in pension rules here in Ireland are detrimental for me.
Can I ask what you see as the pros and cons of moving there? What the healthcare set-up is? What you would like to change if you could? What sort of house you live in (old or new, coastal or inland)?
That's just for starters
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 12:58 PM

Re: For those living in Spain

hola orangutan

I'm not sure what I can tell you really as everyone is different, some, like us, are happy here, others don't settle, some do nothing but complain "they don't do things like this in England", so I can only speak for myself.

We have lived here for 13 years now, the early days were traumatic at times but things have changed so much and virtually everything is easier to deal with these days. Also you will always find someone on hand to help you out when you want to know things.

Spain,like most countries, has austerity measures right now, I'm never really sure what that actually means, I just go with the flow, so to speak, can't do otherwise, but yes we live well enough, most things are still cheaper than UK.

We have no complaints about the health service in our area, the doctors and the hospital are first class in my opinion. One thing that has changed re health care is that because of the reciprocal agreement between UK and Spain pensioners received free health care, but we now have to pay 10% (I think) of prescription charges. However if what you end up paying is over a certain amount, (I think, not sure, E18) you can claim this back.

If you are not a pensioner then there is a scheme you can pay monthly into for NHS care (Spanish NHS that is), or you can take out private medical insurance.

There are many houses for sale right now at bargain prices, best plan there is to maybe rent somewhere for a while and have a good look round.

We have a fairly large detached villa, more like a bungalow really, all one level but quite a few steps up to the house. We also have a fairly large garden area and pool. We are a 10 minute drive from the beach but have lovely views of the sea, the salt lakes and the mountains, also this particular part of our urbanizacion is very quiet most of the time. We have many shops, bars and restaurants some within walking distance, others I guess are within walking distance but too far to carry shopping.

We get very little rain in this area so when it does rain everyone gets quite excited, haha. It can get very cold at night during the winter months but the days can be lovely.

My OH has not been back to UK since we left there over 15 years ago now, he flatly refuses. His health is much better here than it was in UK, as an asthma sufferer he has been so much better here.

I sometimes go back to UK for a week's visit but I certainly would not want to have to go back and live there.

I'm not sure what else I can tell you, but I could suggest you rent somewhere for a while, have a good look round and then make your mind up.
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-04-2013, 02:43 PM

Re: For those living in Spain

Thanks, clumsy. Had already decided that I would not make the move until I had rented somewhere for a year to see how things went. I would definitely be inland, and could not live in an urbanizacion as the country space appeals. And my dog does like to bark sometimes! Also I couldn't do it if I didn't make myself learn better Spanish, but that's just the way I am.

I have spent some time in parts of Andalucia in the past, but more recently have a love affair with Mallorca. But Mallorca is more expensive, particularly when it comes to housing! So I'm just vaguely considering options.

It sounds as though the house prices will get even lower, which can only be good for me! As for austerity measures, here in Ireland we have the same and it will only get worse. I think the relative cost of living will always be appreciably lower in Spain regardless of austerity measures. At the moment, there is about a 20% difference between the two countries, and that goes a long way towards making life potentially better!

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top