Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

26-04-2013, 03:21 PM

Ex-pats - gone for good or will return?

There seems to be quite a few ex-pats on site and I'm all for it. And many [not all] have expressed their views about their new life styles and what they think about them compared to back in old blighty!

So the question to all us ex-pats is can you return for good or stay where you are for good and why?

I'll go first - been away 36 yrs and been back once. Says it all really - big attractions for me is weather [yes hot but we do have a new invention called air-con -dit -oning!] every where oh and plenty of sea breezes cos all ozzies by enlarge live on the coast.

life style [associated with weather] all of our social lives are outdoors - we find it strange [apart from Tasmania] to mix indoors - we do it sometimes but at the first opportunity move outdoors again.

thinking - large countries I think make you think big - that's why I am writing this - we know we live in a big country and we think like that.

holidays - unlike the Brits the ozzies still like to holiday in their own country and do it often and there is plenty of room to move around in without overcrowded caravan sites

Economy - yes it is true we still believe that we have a much better financial economy than the rest of the world - just look at the financial indexes.

Asia - connections - we are ideally positioned in the region to do fantastic trade with the whole of Asia including china - iron ore exports to China have hit all time highs

We are the lucky country!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 03:26 PM

Re: Ex-pats - gone for good or will return?

Sounds good to me - whats the crime rate like there.. we watch some Aussie docus (forensic stuff) they are so good and thorough compared to the US - we concluded it was because the crime rate is huge, compared to Oz.....
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

26-04-2013, 03:35 PM

OZ cops and ASIO are spot on - they deal with issues quickly and efficiently and despite some assertions of racism have done well - we are if you may remember an island and we wish to protect it effectively against any illeglal immigration - unlike UK who are obliged to let the whole of europe in!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 03:42 PM

Absolutely right - the 'sensible' thing to do....
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 04:00 PM

[QUOTE=mindbender;270749]OZ cops and ASIO are spot on - they deal with issues quickly and efficiently and despite some assertions of racism have done well - we are if you may remember an island and we wish to protect it effectively against any illeglal immigration - unlike UK who are obliged to let the whole of europe in![/QUOTE]

Whattcha mean - we in Europe are just one big happy family
Apart from the aboriginal peoples - isn't Australia a nation of immigrants - everybody is imported (or exported) at some time or another

Seriously, I think I would recommend to any young people who are independent and well-equipped (with skills and ability to get employment) to have a go at emigrating to just about any of the "new" countries. You need to be young enough though, I think and many first generation immigrants often feel torn between their adopted country and the land of their birth. We emigrated to Canada many years ago, stayed there a while and would have stayed for good, I think, but circumstances meant we had to come back to England - we thought it would be temporary - but we remained here and settled back in the end. I still have a hankering for Canada, even after all these years. It is such a beautiful place and the people seem so friendly. It's a grand country to bring up children and in an ideal world I would like to flit between both countries and keep a home in each of them. As it is we just go back for visits/holidays and stay with friends.
There is something about the "newer" countries which is so attractive - wide open spaces, better weather, etc., but I am English and I am attached to my own country.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 04:03 PM

I hope they let me in I will be visiting my family later in the year.They emigrated last year and up to now have no regrets whatsoever. My first visit to Oz and hopefully not my last.
Looking forward to it.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

26-04-2013, 04:04 PM

How great is that Mall - good for you !
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 04:08 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
How great is that Mall - good for you !
Thanks Pats. I miss them badly but I'm glad they had the courage to go and make a better life for themselves.
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 04:43 PM

we stay local we have a hour half drive to the falls and the usa border
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-04-2013, 06:20 PM

as for living in the uk were here in canada top stay

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top