Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:28 AM

Re: Ex-pats - gone for good or will return?

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
no problem with party poopers they add to the mix and often find themselves sitting in the corner ignored. But your definition of ex-pats, baggage and nostalgia interested me as one unlike yourself who has actually experienced the phenomena. I agree to begin with that we do all collect 'baggage' along the way and the British more so than many. However emigrating to another country very quickly ensures you get rid of the 'baggage' - one because you want to anyway and two the 'natives' of the other country assist you very quickly to get rid of it - ie they won't tolerate it - and showing your 'baggage' to them ensures you are swiftly kicked in the backside!

nostalgia - yes - but it's almost always a nostalgia for things that no longer exist - a younger earlier life with friends who no longer keep in touch. So what we are saying here is "this is the England that I enjoyed and remember" but what we often don't add but know is "but it no longer exists in that form" It's like remembering a grandfather who no longer lives or an old dog who no longer lives.

The greatest thing humans on this planet have is memory - that's why dementia is such a horrible disease - and it's memory that enables us to function in this fast paced world but also to sit and have some nostalgia sometimes with a nice cup of tea and a scone!
Taking all that as a given, why, after reading your posts and threads, do I get the feeling you have a need to take a swipe at your original homeland? What's driving that need to keep putting Britain (or England) down? Curious.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

28-04-2013, 10:56 AM

I still feel proud of my 'homeland' and don't like the idea of people neglecting it! - Immigrants to OZ make great contributions to OZ life as do those to CA and other places - what contribution to UK culture are immigrants making there?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 11:01 AM

It's more your need to point out what you see as a superior way of life in Australia - not so much that immigration isn't the benefit to Britain that it's made out to be (other than a wider range of shops and later opening times).
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

28-04-2013, 11:06 AM

I still ask you the question non-britisher - what contributions are immigrants making to British culture??
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

28-04-2013, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by mindbender ->
I still ask you the question non-britisher - what contributions are immigrants making to British culture??
Who is the non-Britisher you are asking?

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top