Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:32 AM

Re: Is America the greatest country in the world?

Originally Posted by Aerolor ->
Americia has much to be proud of, but it's history tells me there is much to be ashamed of, especially for such a "new" country, in the main populated by peoples of immigrant origins and with a relatively short recorded history. It is a great country with an abundance of resources and there are opportunities for the fit and able, but it cannot be simply labelled the greatest - IMO no country can lay claim to beng the greatest and it is important to ask the question "in what way/s greatest". Although patriotism and pride is no bad thing, a bit of humility and mature reflection is always useful. Maybe that's what this man is trying to convey?

Some-one once said "Patriotism is the last redoubt of a scoundrel". The United States has very few things to be that proud of to be called the 'Greatest' country in the world. Look at how they treated their own 'native Americans', look at how they managed to enslave large amounts of Africans enslved and brought over from Africa to work in the cotton and sugar plantations, and once given their freedom following the American Civil War were then treated (and are still treated in certain parts of the United States) as second class citizens.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:34 AM

Spot on UJ !
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:36 AM

Hope you watched the series on China Karen - if its repeated have a look - truly fascinating - loved it !
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:42 AM

I think out of all the cultures on the face of the Earth - they're the one of the ones that intrigues me the most Pats My mum goes to visit my brother every year but always stops off for a week or two in China/Bali - lucky thing!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

28-04-2013, 02:00 PM

Yep - I was amazed at the docu series and I agree, the culture is amazing it was a stunning series - wished I'd kept it.. I will if its repeated..
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Some-one once said "Patriotism is the last redoubt of a scoundrel". The United States has very few things to be that proud of to be called the 'Greatest' country in the world. Look at how they treated their own 'native Americans', look at how they managed to enslave large amounts of Africans enslved and brought over from Africa to work in the cotton and sugar plantations, and once given their freedom following the American Civil War were then treated (and are still treated in certain parts of the United States) as second class citizens.
Sorry Uncle Joe but of all the reasons for Americans to be ashamed these would be the weakest.

• Who manipulated the slave trade on an industrial scale and took those slaves to America and the West Indies? Britain did.
  • Who 'discovered' places and declared them terra nullius inspite of there obviously being an indigenous population which they then treated as fauna? Britain did.
  • Who treats their immigrants as unwanted guests and second class citizens? Britain did/does.

I am not criticising Britain for this because it is the way of imperialism I just state it as a fact so to denigrate the USA for these things is a bit hypocritical.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

29-04-2013, 02:35 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
Sorry Uncle Joe but of all the reasons for Americans to be ashamed these would be the weakest.

• Who manipulated the slave trade on an industrial scale and took those slaves to America and the West Indies? Britain did.
  • Who 'discovered' places and declared them terra nullius inspite of there obviously being an indigenous population which they then treated as fauna? Britain did.
  • Who treats their immigrants as unwanted guests and second class citizens? Britain did/does.

I am not criticising Britain for this because it is the way of imperialism I just state it as a fact so to denigrate the USA for these things is a bit hypocritical.
agreed - for Britain it did the worst it could - see above and then did the best it could - the abolition of the slave trade but more by one man than many. However I did marvel at the fact that a black american could and did become the President - a truly marvelous event when you consider their history.

gun laws appalling - knowledge of the rest of the world appalling - sitcoms - appalling - food and its consumption - appalling.
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 03:37 AM

I have family in the USA who don't fit the stereotype at all, fortunately.

Davo - add reality tv shows to the list of what's appalling.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

Well Bruce I did try and keep it in historical context to the extent of not criticising the Americans for more recent events, like for instance their exploits in Vietnam, Cambodia, & Laos. Even more recently we have their exploits in both Afghanistan and Iraq, both of which were illegal under International Law since they were NOT sanctioned by the United Nations. This makes both Bliar and Bush jnr War Criminals.

Then of course there are the civil rights abuses of Black Americans and native Americans even up to the present day. The United States has a lot to live down, not be praised for as the 'Greatest Country in the World - that is just jingoism of the worst kind.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 09:17 AM

''Is America the greatest country in the world? ''

'Greatest' in what context, there are many aspects to choose from eg the quality of life there, how it treats its citizens, the beauty of its landscape.

For me there is no such thing as a 'greatest country' if you take greatness to mean a combination of things. Every country has something of which they can proud of, an element of 'greatness'

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top