Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

28-04-2013, 01:17 AM

British Culture?

No I'm not having a poke this is serious - after watching 'Global Village' for many years, it would appear that most of Europe is still retaining it's own national cultural behaviors, past times and practices but I cannot find evidence in UK of this. I discussed it with a good friend in London and he pointed me to this sites

http://birminghamculture.org/

http://www.leeds-city-guide.com/culture

http://www.liverpool08.com/

http://www.luxuryscotland.co.uk/glas...cle/index.html

does this really represent true British culture - when I watch Global Village they go to the villages of France, Germany, and find and film the cultural practices of the people not huge buildings with art works, shopping malls and the like. For me any culture of a country should still be embedded in the people not their buildings.

As a kid and young adult in UK I was exposed and used the
British culture of seaside holidays - you had to fight to get a spot to pitch your tent anywhere in UK. The local towns were packed with their own British tourists and we hardly seen any overseas persons - it was the British on holiday - now the towns and villages are empty of holiday business - the British give their money to Europe not their own country - what a shame.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 05:07 AM

Re: British Culture?

You clearly haven't been watching the series that Ade Edmundson has been presenting which finished a couple of weeks ago. He was filmed travelling around Britain seeking out local foods such as Cornish pasties and local customs such as Morris dancing. There is still a wealth of "peoples" culture in this land if you care to seek it out.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 08:05 AM

Sadley Alan most of these only ever come out for the cameras.
As a child in Cornwall there would be morris dancers in most popular beach resorts every week end and puppet shows. During the summer many young farmer shows, showing tourist local skills ending with BBQ and evening dance/disco. Local pasty makers selling saffron bread and other local goodies Over the years I have seen this dwiddle because of weather , lack of interest and council red tape over insurance and health and safety. Local crafts have been replaced by cheaper more modern Items... why have a nice wooden peg doll made by a local lady when you can have plastic ones from a factory... seems to be the way to go nowadays ....
jaywalker
Hobart, Tasmania
jaywalker is female  jaywalker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 08:22 AM

At least you've still got some! Here in Oz we are such a new country that there is very little in the way of local culture as we only go back 200 years. That's one of the reasons, as ex-poms we come to visit every year now we are retired.

I can understand that you feel a lot of it has gone compared with other parts of Europe but to us visiting the south coast towns such as Deal and Hastings is like going back in time - paper bags of shrimps and mussels still there. Even in inner London, we've watched Morris Dancers outside a pub in Bloomsbury. In Hastings last year we were delighted to see the Green Man parade and a clog dancing competition in Lancashire.

We'll be in my partner's hometown area near Durham this year so don't know what we'll come across there.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 08:34 AM

I think we still have our culture, perhaps Morris dancing is more for tourism etc these days but essentially we are as we always were.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:27 AM

I thought the British didn't have a culture? That's what we've been getting told (especially on forums) for more years than I can remember. You only have to mention 'The British (or in my case - English) way of life' to be hit with demands to demonstrate what make British culture different from any other - Britain has been invaded and conquered too many times to have retained any semblence of individuality, blah blah blah. Not surprising people probably just gave up on it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:46 AM

Well yes I see what you mean but ask anyone coming here for the first time and they do see differences to their own culture, so we must have something left.
mindbender
mindbender is male 

28-04-2013, 10:52 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I think we still have our culture, perhaps Morris dancing is more for tourism etc these days but essentially we are as we always were.
which is what exactly??
mindbender
mindbender is male 

28-04-2013, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Well yes I see what you mean but ask anyone coming here for the first time and they do see differences to their own culture, so we must have something left.
and that is..............???
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

28-04-2013, 01:05 PM

If you can't see it then no helping you LOL

I think we have a lot of uniquenesses about us as a nation we English are even different to the Welsh and Scottish who we are joined with in the UK. All different and all wonderful.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top