Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
warleyron
Warley, Essex UK
warleyron is male  warleyron has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 07:25 PM

Re: British Culture?

Julie1962 it is brilliant. You can go to a pub see what the pub/music is like and if your not keen take your drink and try another pub. Every one is doing the same, the atmosphere is so friendly.

During the day there is also a Morelli's icecream parlour, the best icecream I've ever had.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 07:28 PM

Does sound great really hoping it is one of his weekends off !
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 08:10 PM

Never having visited there, no doubt my impressions are going to sound stereotypical.

"British" to me suggests (in no particular order) pubs, fish 'n' chips, the Royal Family, Big Ben, the Thames, cricket, tea, the Beatles, Alec Guiness, Dr. Who, Monty Python, Shakespeare, Tolkien, A.A. Milne, Dickens, the Tate Gallery, Westminster Abbey, Kew Gardens, rainy weather, fine horses, and of course Cadbury Flake (which we can't get here).

That's off the top of my head...
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:17 PM

Without meaning to be contentious, there may be a link between the ex-patriots who left this country en masse over the last few decades in search of a "better life" causing a void in personnel availabillity, and the insurge of non doms, who took the oppertunity to fill the void, in the process changing the cultural face of Britain. I still say those who were the main instigators, or thier offspring seem to comment most on this evolutionary process.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:22 PM

Originally Posted by Pats CG ->
Oh Gawd Karen - that really tickled Pats
Well Pats - take a gander at the photo above your post - and I rest my case ...

Now if it looked as dignified and polished as Scottish Dancing (that jigging about over a couple of crossed swords) that would be different
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Without meaning to be contentious, there may be a link between the ex-patriots who left this country en masse over the last few decades in search of a "better life" causing a void in personnel availabillity, and the insurge of non doms, who took the oppertunity to fill the void, in the process changing the cultural face of Britain. I still say those who were the main instigators, or thier offspring seem to comment most on this evolutionary process.
Yes, but - what part of our culture do you feel typifies Britishness/Englishness (as you are English)?
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Yes, but - what part of our culture do you feel typifies Britishness/Englishness (as you are English)?
It is difficult to filter out what was (is) actually a culture, and what was (is) an individuals perception of events, all the villages with thier timeless buildings are uniquely English, as is the calm felt in once hectic historic sites of battles, but then again the reassuring chime of an Ice Cream Mans claxon, or the site of men in their "Whites" engageing in a game of Cricket, on the village green, I suppose being English means feeling reassured when the rest of the world is in chaos.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

28-04-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It is difficult to filter out what was (is) actually a culture, and what was (is) an individuals perception of events, all the villages with thier timeless buildings are uniquely English, as is the calm felt in once hectic historic sites of battles, but then again the reassuring chime of an Ice Cream Mans claxon, or the site of men in their "Whites" engageing in a game of Cricket, on the village green, I suppose being English means feeling reassured when the rest of the world is in chaos.
BIB - that made me think of the headlines 'Fog in Channel, Continent Cut Off'

I'd forgotten ice cream vans and their music! I miss that - even at 56 years old, I'd still run out for a 99 (with raspberry sauce - or monkey blood as they say in the NE)
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-04-2013, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Never having visited there, no doubt my impressions are going to sound stereotypical.

"British" to me suggests (in no particular order) pubs, fish 'n' chips, the Royal Family, Big Ben, the Thames, cricket, tea, the Beatles, Alec Guinness, Dr. Who, Monty Python, Shakespeare, Tolkien, A.A. Milne, Dickens, the Tate Gallery, Westminster Abbey, Kew Gardens, rainy weather, fine horses, and of course Cadbury Flake (which we can't get here).

That's off the top of my head...
A good list for off the top of your head. How about adding tripe & onions, pearly kings, queues,Swans, Litter
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

28-04-2013, 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by Robert Junior ->
Litter
That one doesn't count as I've seen litter in many counties!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top