Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 12:33 PM

Re: What Does It Mean To Be British?

I really don't know what "British Culture" is - for a start I don't feel British, I feel English, just as my Irish friends feel Irish, my Scots mates feel Scottish and my Welsh mates feel Welsh.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
Strangely enough - the British are renowned for being able to laugh at themselves so I'm not sure where you've got that one from
Yes, it is true they are renowned for laughing at themselves BUT only when the joker is from within, ie one of us not when the fun is poked at them from outside.

If it is criticism then unlike other nations who usually try to answer the criticism with facts (rightly or wrongly) the British bristle with indignation that anybody should dare to say such a thing about them and what's it got to do with foreigners/ex pats etc anyway? It won't matter that the criticism was probably the same as one they were expressing themselves only a moment ago that is totally forgotten they react purely against the fact that an outsider dared to say anything adverse about them.

It is just a British trait it doesn't apply to everyone but in general it tends to be so. In fact I suspect your response makes the point more eloquently than anything I could say
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->

It is just a British trait it doesn't apply to everyone but in general it tends to be so. In fact I suspect your response makes the point more eloquently than anything I could say
I suspect you believe that to be the case because you have inferred a tone I didn't use when I replied; maybe it was you that has actually bristled given your response to me.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 11:28 AM

Most of the English people I know laugh at them selves and can take a joke about them by others. Not sure who you have met to make you feel we don't bruce.
mindbender
Broome, western australia
mindbender is male 

30-04-2013, 12:46 PM

I can understand and relate to what bruce is saying - yes the english can and do laugh at each other - but if Germans, or French, or Americans or any other nation is poking fun at the British they do go cold and bristle with indignation IMO and also I suspect in Bruce's IHO!!
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Surely a lot of countries take exception at times from 'outsiders....'
Never noticed to that extent - I like Jackie Mason - jewish humour - the place would be packed with Jewish mainly....
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 01:36 PM

Yes that's true, making fun of yourself is different to someone making fun of you.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top