Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Re: Pensioners Are A Drain on Society

Originally Posted by ben-varrey ->
I have volunteered, on a weekly basis, for over 30 years in different areas of society - today, I have decided no more; if I'm not valuable enough of a person to pay or to help once employment opportunities dry up, then I see no reason to help society any more.
Karen, I just want to say thank you for your volunteer work. I understand your reason to stop doing it, but please don't think you weren't valued in that role by those you worked with, whatever areas you were involved with. I'm sure you made a difference in many lives.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Karen, I just want to say thank you for your volunteer work. I understand your reason to stop doing it, but please don't think you weren't valued in that role by those you worked with, whatever areas you were involved with. I'm sure you made a difference in many lives.
I agree with you Sue, it would be a crying shame if Karen gives up, something she loves doing to help others.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 07:12 PM

My sister is almost 70 so has been a 'pensioner' for almost 10 years. During that time she has has provided day care for her 5 grandchildren then as they grew ferried them to and from play school/ school /swimming lessons etc, all this unpaid work enabling her children to work .
My sister remarked that at the school gate a high proportion of those picking up the children were 'grannies'.

I am also a pensioner but have only been providing child care for three years . I know numerous grandparents doing the same thing , without these hidden 'supporter' many people would not be able to work because the cost of child care is prohibitive.

A drain on society? On the contrary, the hidden backbone of society I would say..
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 07:39 PM

Meg - amazing - I was thinking the same thoughts - then see your post, absolutely agree with you..
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada
Annie Jack is female  Annie Jack has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
A drain on society? On the contrary, the hidden backbone of society I would say..
Great post Meg. I take care of my grandson 2 days a week and his other gran takes him 1 day. Yes, child care costs are very high and it's a big help.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
My sister is almost 70 so has been a 'pensioner' for almost 10 years. During that time she has has provided day care for her 5 grandchildren then as they grew ferried them to and from play school/ school /swimming lessons etc, all this unpaid work enabling her children to work .
You took the words right out of my mouth
Stella H
Lowestoft, Suffolk
Stella H is female  Stella H has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-04-2013, 09:16 PM

So some young folk think that the elderly are a drain on society do they? Have they ever thought about some of the young folk who are a drain on society nowadays, those that 'sleep around' and churn out babies, then as single mothers get rehoused and live off benefits?
Annie Jack
Ontario, Canada

30-04-2013, 03:05 AM

Originally Posted by Stella H ->
So some young folk think that the elderly are a drain on society do they? Have they ever thought about some of the young folk who are a drain on society nowadays, those that 'sleep around' and churn out babies, then as single mothers get rehoused and live off benefits?
Good point. Add the ones who never leave home or look for a job once they're out of school.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 09:18 AM

I too have tried to 'retire' from voluntary work over the past 18 months. I was a founder member of a neighbourhood Law Centre and following the withdrawal of funding took back 'in house' all the case-work I personally was conducting. Since when (some 18 years) I have never stopped. By word of mouth various people have heard about me and contacted me to help them with their social security or employment problems and I have provided advice, assistance and representation at statutory tribunal hearings on numerous occasions. An organisation (Headway) asked me to be their 'Benefits' advisor and for some 5 - 6 years I did that too. Now when I want to retire entirely I am still contacted by those who I have helped previously and am still being asked to help them establish claims or lodge appeals - how can I say no????
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Wrong yet again Karen darlin' - there was reference to it shortly after we joined the EEC in 1971 and that, if you remember was under the Tory Government of Ted Heath.
Uncle Joe - with the greatest respect, I see no point in arguing which party is responsible for what (but it was during Labour's long reign that the accusation by the EU was made) as it isn't the point and serves no useful purpose to the situation.

It is fair to say that neither political Party has done anything to change the situation. Please don't be offended but I won't be answering any more of your posts that do little other than blame the Tories for everything and ignoring Labour's lack of initiatve to change it.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top