Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 09:37 AM

Re: Pensioners Are A Drain on Society

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
Karen don't give up your volunteering, if you do that you will give these B######s the excuse to shut it completely.
I volunteer to help the sick in recovery after major, illnesses or operations, I do 4 days a week, if I stopped and others like me they would close them for good for sure.
I know you don't get any thanks, but I am sure whoever you do it for are very grateful.
The patients (well, most of them and one or two nurses) do thank me (and the other volunteers) and for that, I'm grateful; it's nice to be appreciated no matter how small a contribution is made (would love to do what you do though!). It is more the state of affairs that says the over 50s are fine to use if they don't have to be paid but not worth much if a salary becomes involved. Maybe volunteering prevents those jobs from becoming a paid position?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK
ben-varrey is female  ben-varrey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-04-2013, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
I think this is just an attempt by politicians and the current intellectual elite, to divide and rule the population. I have noticed in the Guardian over recent months a number of articles complaining about the amount of resources we "baby boomers" consume at the expense of today's young people. If we pensioners used our votes as a bloc, we could really give them something to worry about!
I do agree with you Mick - there seems to have been a fair bit of divide and rule going on over the last few years. The vast majority of my volunteer work has been with young people and I've never heard one of them say these things - why do successive governments want to plant these seeds of resentment in people's minds? What are they going to achieve?
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

30-04-2013, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Annie Jack ->
Karen, I just want to say thank you for your volunteer work. I understand your reason to stop doing it, but please don't think you weren't valued in that role by those you worked with, whatever areas you were involved with. I'm sure you made a difference in many lives.
Thank you for your kind words Annie - I think I've just reached the stage where I want to strike back but don't really know how to.
ben-varrey
Chatterbox
UK

30-04-2013, 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->

A drain on society? On the contrary, the hidden backbone of society I would say..
Absolutely Meg - well said (wish I'd thought of that phrase).

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top