Join for free
Manxman
Manchester, UK
Manxman is male  Manxman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2011, 12:27 PM

Do you keep a Diary, Blog, record of your Family History?

For some time now I have kept a Blog, a sort of record of my life and thoughts over the years and weekly events of what is current to that time.

I do this so I leave a record of things that my Family some who are not yet born can look back and have an insight into my life, I always asked my Father after my Mother died to give me something to read or a recording of His memories. He never really recovered after my Mums passing, a truly loving couple and I think it was to hard for him to look back.

The Blog is a legacy For my Family.

My Sister some years ahead of me in age has traced my Mothers side of our Family tree and I have created my Fathers side of our Family Tree, these are great to share with our extended Families. Not long ago on my Sisters 50th Wedding anniversary, we had great delight from meeting a cousin whom I had never met, being that he had moved with my Uncle and Family over 58 years ago and before my birth, he and his Son had great satisfaction in seeing the work had completed and Nathan, my Cousins Son added some more reletives to the tree. He is a Major in the British Army and as this side of the Family have a long history of service with the military he had a service number and names that could be traced via military records, giving some excellent information on tours of duty, pay, woundings and a lot more.

These hobbies are important to me but I also follow others records. Some on local to me, like what people are planting in their gardens, sowing seeds later than in the south of the UK than up north. Some people write about theatre and performances they have seen, some Blogs are on books and their own views.

If you have a blog or the like I would be interested in reading it, please post a link, mine can be found at http://adrianhowarth.blogspot.com/ please feel free to comment on it, I hope you find it informative, it can be a bit dark at times when things get me down but I soon come up smiling.

All the best

Adrian.
Uff
Scotland
Uff is female  Uff has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-05-2011, 09:52 PM

Re: Do you keep a Diary, Blog, record of your Family History?

I don't keep a blog but I've kept a diary for the past 40 years and very often refer back to it.

Not sure what will happen to them when I'm shoving the daisies up though.
bettyespana
Costa Blanca,Spain
bettyespana is female  bettyespana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:24 PM

I had to keep a diary in my work.Mainly the daily temperature,conditions of weather e.g wet,or dry etc. Now I am retired & I still do the same in my diary at home.Because I do this my friends will ask "Betty was it this cold last year at this time" or something similar.It can be quite fun at times & yes Adrian I have done my family tree but not in the form of a diary.
fitou143
Essex
fitou143 is male  fitou143 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-04-2013, 09:47 PM

Have seen this thread was started a couple of years ago without to many replies. I think this is a good idea to record diary events perhaps not every day. But I have done some research into my family history but is very time consuming. Now with the advent of the Internet and online searching information is much more readily available. I would like to have been able to have readily available information from my ancestors to see what they did in there life time. Mobile phones now able to take photos and videos can be recorded for prosperity, I regularly record short videos if I am at interesting places or have something interesting to say that I can look back at when I am in an "old peoples" home LOL or perhaps my great great grandchildren can watch when I am long gone, I think technology has a part to play in this.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top