Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:47 AM

Re: Dialect Test

Originally Posted by Pyxell ->
The 100 questions didn't take very long, though, and were rather interesting!

One of my massive hates is when sweets are called candy, and when biscuits are called cookies.
Yes indeed. There is no doubt that Americanisms continue to take over our language - for obvious reasons.

Ironic, then, that the 'test' has been created by an American publication!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:49 AM

The 100 questions didn't take very long, though, and were rather interesting!

One of my massive hates is when sweets are called candy, and when biscuits are called cookies.
Oooh yeah.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 11:51 AM

Yes, it was quite close for me, but, there weren't any Yam yam words.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
I spotted at least two - "babby" and "mardy" .....
Nicol
South east of England
Nicol is female  Nicol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 12:25 PM

It gave a wide area result for me, all south and south east so roughly right but seemed to be concentrating on Luton, Dover and Portsmouth.

I've only lived in 2 different places all my life, West London and Berkshire.

I answered all questions the way I would have spoken/pronounced/identified things as a kid so therefore it SHOULD have given a more specific location.

Maybe I'm just weird
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by Nicol ->
It gave a wide area result for me, all south and south east so roughly right but seemed to be concentrating on Luton, Dover and Portsmouth.

I've only lived in 2 different places all my life, West London and Berkshire.

I answered all questions the way I would have spoken/pronounced/identified things as a kid so therefore it SHOULD have given a more specific location.

Maybe I'm just weird
We're all weird.
Pyxell
South of England
Pyxell is female  Pyxell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What are yam yam words?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 12:35 PM

Way out for me but then I have lived in 6 counties from Lancashire to Dorset
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 12:44 PM

What are yam yam words?
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blackcountry/fe..._dialect.shtml

The Black Country covers Walsall, Wolverhampton, Dudley and Sandwell.

- The name Black Country, comes from the industrial history of the area.

People often mix up the Birmingham and Black Country accents. Over the years the two have almost merged. The overall sing-song quality and word pronunciation make the two accents very similar.

People that live in the Black Country are very proud of the way they speak. They have their own dialect and vocabulary as opposed to just being a different accent.

One of the most famous features is the 'yam yam' sound when saying certain phrases. 'You are' is pronounced yo'am and 'are you' is pronounced 'am ya'.
It took me two years of working with nail-benders to become fluent .....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Yes, Marge drew my attention to that yesterday.

I found it to come up with what I'd find predictable: West Riding and North Lancashire (excluding Manchester and Liverpool).

To be realistic, I am conscious that my language has changed as I have grown up and moved around so for that reason, when taking part, I tried to remember the sort of words I would have used when I was a young lad in Bradford. Naturally, I took after my dad in my speech.

A good friend, who lives in Huddersfield, is more Yorkshire in his speech and, for example, uses the word "nesh" whereas I use (and used) "freezing".

Nevertheless, I suspect our respective areas on the resultant maps would have been very similar.
Nesh doesn't mean freezing. it means that someone is soft because they feel the cold.

By gum it's cold this morning. Gi' oe-er, th'art nesh.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top