Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:19 PM

Re: Honda plant closure

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
I'm sure the victorians said the same when the skies were full of soot and smog....
But the people were warm and not freezing ... and so we evolved to cleaner and better however the cost of power was transferred from house to power station to gas supplier or whatever over time but to suddenly ban the car just like that and to expect everyone to say oh okay , il go and buy a brand new electric car and throw an extension lead out my 24th story window and never drive more than 50 miles from home ever again ... simply Lunacy and when the history books are wrote in 20 years time they will say the old big companies like Mercedes and ford , bmw and landrover were killed not by themselves but by the EU
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
HONDA are closing in Swindon and I’ve no doubt brexit will be blamed as it’s an ideal opportunity to blame something other than their own designers in making such a pigs ear of the styling of the civic ( my god it’s ugly ) ruining what was their top selling car ... and of course our silly government killed diesel sales ( again it was the top selling engine in the civic ) on all car manufacturers but I feel Honda aren’t just stopping because of brexit and this is a smoke screen for their own design faults coupled with a failed government that kills anything it touches making it ideal time for Honda to not only say goodbye to Swindon but to leave Europe altogether

Have you seen the type R, Ford, eat you hearts out.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:31 PM

I had a TYPE R ,,, brilliant car and was going to buy the new one until I saw it ( test drive and I loved it but couldn’t live with those plastic tea trays on the bumpers ) so bye bye mr Honda and my gorgeous type R and hello mr FORD and I bought a focus ST

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	111C50BD-D2B9-4C70-9A33-C281C28F3A84.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	8773   Click image for larger version

Name:	1EAFD593-9C0B-4F8C-B913-9912D3F5E571.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	8774   Click image for larger version

Name:	06E489A9-D98B-49E0-AD8B-09600F9DABB4.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	8775   Click image for larger version

Name:	7DE9864D-23B5-403B-8E90-78C78320CA92.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	8776   Click image for larger version

Name:	AB937717-143E-4759-9918-0AD125A1B2D4.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	8777  

AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:34 PM

But the people were warm and not freezing ... and so we evolved to cleaner and better however the cost of power was transferred from house to power station to gas supplier or whatever over time but to suddenly ban the car just like that and to expect everyone to say oh okay , il go and buy a brand new electric car and throw an extension lead out my 24th story window and never drive more than 50 miles from home ever again ... simply Lunacy and when the history books are wrote in 20 years time they will say the old big companies like Mercedes and ford , bmw and landrover were killed not by themselves but by the EU
And now we are paying the price.

There is nothing to guarantee that any company will last forever if the competitive and business environment changes. But it is not up to governments to keep them going past their sell by date. Leyland fell apart through bad management.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:39 PM

I had a TYPE R ,,, brilliant car and was going to buy the new one until I saw it ( test drive and I loved it but couldn’t live with those plastic tea trays on the bumpers ) so bye bye mr Honda and my gorgeous type R and hello mr FORD and I bought a focus ST

Just said goodbye to the latest of three ST's, would have loved to have a bash at a Type R, but the numbers would not have stacked up.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

18-02-2019, 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
And now we are paying the price.

There is nothing to guarantee that any company will last forever if the competitive and business environment changes. But it is not up to governments to keep them going past their sell by date. Leyland fell apart through bad management.
I quite agree and the motor industry has had its day ... however to shoot it ( and they have !) but without any realistic chance of having the infrastructure to make electric a viable option ( it isn’t and never will be ) is sheer lunacy as even if a huge tsunami flooded the uk tonight killing us all and the islands disappeared to the bottom of the ocean ... bye bye Britain ... the reality is we make 2% of the worlds pollution and indeed 50% of that is animals .... so going electric ? Without power stations or a grid infrastructure capable of charging millions of cars was a wise choice ?
China by the way has 22 car companies they make and sell more cars in China in one year than the rest of the world combined , they were building COAL POWERED POWER STATIONS AT THE RATE OF 500 year ... and your saying me swapping to a Nissan Leaf will make a difference ?
That India and the rest of the world will indeed continue using the car as we know it today partly because it’s bloody brilliant and secondly because they can’t afford a new Tesla ... so who loses ? The west loses millions of jobs and the ability to travel ... the rest of the world simply carries on as normal
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-02-2019, 10:48 PM

A mate at work has the Focus RS in that (imo) nice grey colour. Bloody brilliant car..
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

18-02-2019, 10:49 PM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
Just said goodbye to the latest of three ST's, would have loved to have a bash at a Type R, but the numbers would not have stacked up.
It’s a stunning car to drive but only it’s mother could love those looks so I swapped to ford and indeed ford have gone wrong now as I’m thinking of swapping this year and obvious choice was new focus RS ... my ST with a little more power however they’ve stopped making it !!!!
The new ST isn’t as nice as the one I have already so no new car for me this year
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire

18-02-2019, 11:00 PM

That 2ltr turbo is pretty gutless, Imo, as for the RS, not a spot in the Honda visually, waiting to see the next ST offering, out in about a Years time.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)

18-02-2019, 11:13 PM

Mines 250 Bhp turbo and I wouldn’t call it gutless ( I also have a Porsche boxer and BMW Z4 , Mini Cooper S , landrover 90 defender , Range Rover 4.4 V8, and the focus would leave any of those for dead ... the RS is obviously 100bhp /4 wheel drive more and ( had two Audi Quattro in the past ... stunning) I considered one when I bought the ST but only in boring colours where as I loved the tangerine scream so I thought I can live with only 250 ( I have two Suzuki 1000cc motorbikes for when I want really fast ) and must admit I love the ST and is always the car of choice today when I go out . But the 2019 focus range is boring , the ST isn’t anything special at all , very mediocre ... Hyundai promised us the wacky i30N ... but that was the race car they shown whilst the production car they offer is great performance but nothing g I’m rushing out to buy ... nope , the Honda type R or focus RS are still top of the tree however both ruined by becoming 4 doors whilst two doors always look better on a coupe and now ford have axed the RS anyway ( strange they made the last 50 in my yellow !!!) and Honda shot themselves in the head with that silly bumper styling ... hence you don’t see many type R today despite fastest car around the Nurburgring accolades etc ... sex sells and all that and Honda is no longer a good looking car

This is a good fair appraisal of the ST

https://youtu.be/533Pc7824PY

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top