Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 01:38 PM

Re: I Found One Of My Hens Dead This Afternoon..

Aw Art that is sad . Unless people have owned hens they will not know what great little characters they and how entertaining they are to watch.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 02:17 PM

You shouldn't reproach yourself in any way Artangel, I know nothing about hens but from what I've read about you on here they all have good lives. Be upset yes, that's quite usual but it could have been just old age or something else, nothing to do with you at all.

Perhaps get yourself another one, or perhaps more than one, there will always be plenty that need good homes and that might help get over it.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 11:44 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
I know nothing about hens but I do know what it is like to lose a pet. Nothing wrong in shedding a tear or two. So god bless
Thank You, realspeed.
It was the shock at finding her on the ground in the run and not knowing what happened to her.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-06-2020, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
My apologies, I thought it was the Welsummer who died, but now I understand you meant one of the Hybrids - ( never heard of the term Hi-line before).

'Tis true what you say about hybrids being bred purely as egg-laying machines, and they don't usually have the life span of the older type pure breeds.

I can't suggest anything else really, it is difficult without knowing her.
Poor old thing, but I am sure she had a good life with you.
Mups, Apologies That l spelt Hy-Lines incorrectly. They are probably the same or similar to a Warren.
I expected her to live for at least 3 yrs like my previous Hy-Lines have.

She was the one who flew onto the table the other week whilst l was eating and in doing so, scratched my nose and top lip.
I still have the mark!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

13-06-2020, 11:57 PM

Originally Posted by Bratti ->
I’m so sorry for your loss Artangel.
Thank You for caring, Bratti.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-06-2020, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
So sorry Art perhaps she had just come to the end of her days Dear little bird I am sure she had a good life with you .
Thank You, Muddy.
She was the cheeky one and was the first to get to me when l shook the corn in the container when l needed to get them in.
The other two hens, especially the one she came with look sad too.
Did you know, hens mourn for the loss of another hen?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-06-2020, 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Cinderella ->
A thoughtful post which am sure will be appreciated.
Yes, it was appreciated, Cinderella.
Thank You, for posting.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-06-2020, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Mups, Apologies That l spelt Hy-Lines incorrectly. They are probably the same or similar to a Warren.
I expected her to live for at least 3 yrs like my previous Hy-Lines have.

She was the one who flew onto the table the other week whilst l was eating and in doing so, scratched my nose and top lip.
I still have the mark!

Yes, you're right Art. She should have lived longer than 18 months.
As I said before, it could have been one of several things but perhaps you'll never know now.
I was very fond of my birds, so I can understand how you feel.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-06-2020, 12:07 AM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
Aw Art that is sad . Unless people have owned hens they will not know what great little characters they and how entertaining they are to watch.
Thank You, Meg.

They are great little characters and funny too.
You get attached to them and they lay delicious eggs!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

14-06-2020, 12:12 AM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
You shouldn't reproach yourself in any way Artangel, I know nothing about hens but from what I've read about you on here they all have good lives. Be upset yes, that's quite usual but it could have been just old age or something else, nothing to do with you at all.

Perhaps get yourself another one, or perhaps more than one, there will always be plenty that need good homes and that might help get over it.
Thanks Baz.

I keep thinking, could l have averted it any way?
My sister, my ex husband and l think Mups said it too, that a fox might have frightened her?

I will never know.....

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top