Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Tregonsee
Lancashire UK
Tregonsee is male  Tregonsee has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-06-2020, 09:31 PM

Re: Help needed for my suv

Not an imobiliser problem?
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 10:43 AM

I have , at long last, located to problem.
The car's alarm system had locked the ignition. As soon as I disabled the alarm , there was no problem starting the car.

Thanks to all for your advise.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
I have, at long last, located the problem.
The car's alarm system had locked the ignition. As soon as I disabled the alarm, there was no problem starting the car.

Thanks to all for your advise.
That's good and if nothing else you do know the alarm system / immobiliser works OK.
Plus of course, that there are a lot of helpful people here on OFF!
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 11:32 AM

Odd that the alarm didn't sound though after you entered the car?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-06-2020, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
It could be like my VW Golf which has a switch to deactivate the motion part of the alarm system to enable just the immobiliser side of the alarm to continue to work. Possibly useful if high winds are causing the alarm to activate? I recall the handbook also mentions something about this switch being used in the event of the vehicle being transported or towed. Perhaps this just deactivates the audio side of the alarm? There are far too many electrical 'goodies' on the modern car for me to absorb all the details so I don't even try!
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Oh, but it did sound. I just didn't realize that it could immobilize the ignition.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 07:53 AM

Originally Posted by bakerman ->
Oh, but it did sound. I just didn't realize that it could immobilize the ignition.
But surely then you had to turn off the alarm, which would have also switched off the immobiliser?
sparky
cheshire
sparky is male  sparky has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-06-2020, 09:30 AM

If you want to do something other than the original alarm then fit an immobiliser switch,you can do it one of a number of ways, 1, take a wire from the coils -ve (assuming its petrol of course), run it to a hidden switch inside the car then from the other side of the switch to earth, this, when turned on will allow it to turn over but not start.
Another and better option is to take a 2 core from the hidden switch and then remove the wire from the starter solenoid, replace this with one of the wires from the switch and connect the other one to the wire that originally went to the solenoid, when the switch is off the car will not turn over, this prevents you from turning the switch off and flattening the battery by forgetting to turn it back on next time you want to start the car.
bakerman
Mexico

29-06-2020, 12:43 PM

Thank you all, for the many tips. I truly appreciate it. Problem is now fixed (fingers crossed)

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top