Join for free
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 10:07 AM

I have a bell on my iPhone.

Suddenly for the last couple of weeks I am getting a bell 🔔 dinging at different times of the day and night from my iPhone.
It is not the same sound that I get from notifications from messages or WhatsApp.
With those they come up on the screen, but nothing appears with this bell 🔔 sound.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be.?
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 10:30 AM

Re: I have a bell on my iPhone.

Originally Posted by Emjay ->
Suddenly for the last couple of weeks I am getting a bell 🔔 dinging at different times of the day and night from my iPhone.
It is not the same sound that I get from notifications from messages or WhatsApp.
With those they come up on the screen, but nothing appears with this bell 🔔 sound.
Does anyone have any idea what this could be.?
As you will probably know there are lots of Sounds to choose from when setting up your iPhone so difficult to answer your question with any certainty. The only thing I can think of doing is to go to Settings, scroll down to Sounds and then go through those to see what function that particular sound has been assigned to. There is one sound on there if you touch 'Classic' under 'Ring Tones' called 'Bell Tower' which is as it indicates the sound of bells chiming from a bell tower. Other than that nothing immediately springs to mind. It's unusual if any sound is not designated to some function or other though.

Edited to add: I have just checked out the Apple Communities forum for this and there are a lot of posts about an app. called appbzr being responsible for a bell sound. Apparently it's all to do with this app. which notifies of new apps. on the App. Store or those that are now reduced in price. Just might be the answer if you have this app. installed, it can be turned off apparently. I guess using the Settings then Sounds and find the notification to this app.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 11:28 AM

Thanks Baz for you reply. No I do not have that appbzr on my phone.
Everything that I have on my phone is linked to the iPad and the same in reverse. I.e. all photos I take will go on both whichever I use to take the pic.
I have gone through all the notification apps checking the sounds, but none are associated with the ‘bell’ sound. It is now another of life’s mysteries.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 12:07 PM

Everything that I have on my phone is linked to the iPad and the same in reverse. I.e. all photos I take will go on both whichever I use to take the pic.
I have gone through all the notification apps checking the sounds, but none are associated with the ‘bell’ sound. It is now another of life’s mysteries.
Has it got an alarm of some kind Emjay? Perhaps you have inadvertently programmed it to alert you at different times. I had a running watch that chimed every hour. A pain in the butt because my watches are kept in the bedroom.....It took me a while to discover what the noise was....
Baz46
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-07-2020, 12:24 PM

That is an odd one, the only other one I've thought of is perhaps you have something like Mail set with a notification 'bell' sound but use another e-mail program. I often get screen notifications about an incoming e-mail in Mail, although I use gmail. I don't bother about it too much as I am always online so find any e-mails from gmail as they come in.

If the sound at night bothers you it's possible to silence all sounds at night (or in the day) between whatever hours you wish. I had to do this after receiving those irritating foreign scam calls while I was sleeping. For this go to Settings > Do Not Disturb then just click on Scheduled so it changes to green then choose hours From and To

Another of life's mysteries though as you write.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

05-07-2020, 12:42 PM

It is not at any set time. I suppose I could just turn off the phone at night. But then I thought what about if there is a family emergency. Second thoughts on this, there is always the BT phone for that.
I am turning off tones on different applications, at the present time to see if I can find out which one it is.
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK

05-07-2020, 12:50 PM

It is not at any set time. I suppose I could just turn off the phone at night. But then I thought what about if there is a family emergency. Second thoughts on this, there is always the BT phone for that.
I am turning off tones on different applications, at the present time to see if I can find out which one it is.
Baz46

05-07-2020, 02:07 PM

No need to turn the iPhone completely off, if you set it for whatever hours suit you as in my previous post. Then inform those family who are likely to phone you in an emergency that they will have to phone again within three minutes of the first call if they can't get through first time. That call will then come through. Usually someone would do that anyway but the phone is set to accept the second call.

That does work. My family have phoned me when I have set my Do Not Disturb for a time later into the morning, as often I don't sleep too well, and the call comes through on the second try.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top