Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 04:32 AM

Project SUV

I recently purchased a 1996 Toyota 4 runner SR5 with the intensions of doing a project SUV. I knew full well that it would require some amount of cash and a great deal of sweat to bring it back to peak condition. (195K miles).

When I first drove it on a test drive it ran like a scalded cat.
However, after I bought it, on it's very first long distance test drive at hwy speeds, it completely died on me.

I had intended on doing this drive at 2 am in order to avoid any traffic. No sooner had I jumped on the interstate hwy, than the engine shut off and ALL lights failed. There I was on a super hwy, at 2 am with a jet black SUV with not even the flashers working. Jeez, talk about being in a dangerous fix.

Lucky for me, there was an exit ramp right in front of me and I managed to coast it onto the exit ramp. But I still could not get it completely off the road. half on/ half off.

Fearing that someone would rear-end me, I got out and walked up the road 100 meters or so, so I could at least wave my arms at any exiting vehicle. Finally, some kind person did stop for me and he called for roadside assistance. The California Highway patrol eventually showed up and helped me. They immediately called for a tow truck and placed road flares. When the tow truck arrived CHP asked him to do a courtesy tow, and the driver agreed. He got me down off the ramp and onto a side street.

My unplanned for adventure was just beginning.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 05:00 AM

Re: Project SUV

Hi

Very good for you Bakerman.

I am in no way mechanically minded and I do admire you for your decision to take on such a Project.

I am not a car fanatic, I buy EX Works cars, Government, serviced and upgraded at 3 years old and run them until they die.

Diesel, automatic and big enough to take my fishing rods.

My current one is 9 years old, soon to be 10 and has 75k on the clock.

I am tempted to change, but will keep it.

The next car I buy will be my last one.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 11:08 AM

You were brave there bakerman, I think I would at least taken a mobile phone with me. Sounds like electrics if even the hazard lights stopped working. Perhaps a faulty alternator shorting out the battery.

If I had the space I would love to resurrect an old vehicle, I've had some great times in the past removing engines and doing rebuilds. Mostly with lots of visiting mates lending a hand, or standing round discussing the best way to do the job, and finally taking the discussion to the pub..... The good old days!

The first Citroen Berlingo van I purchased to work as a self employed courier, had 1,800 miles on the clock, and was owned by a plasterer. It had very little work to do, taking him and his equipment to local jobs....I sold it just three years later with over 300,000 miles on the clock, and it never let me down or needed a big job doing on it. I think the biggest repair I had to do was replace the accelerator cable in the pouring rain at 2:00am on the hard shoulder of the M1....Good job I always carried essential spare parts and tools.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 12:49 PM

First thing I’d check bakerman is the earthing from the battery, might be loose or rusted ( if things rust down in Mexico), connection, the days of me fixing my own cars are long gone, my first car was a 1969 mini, that’s the car I learnt to do most of the repairs and servicing on, sticking a rubber glove over the distributor cap as it was sited just behind the radiator and got wet in heavy rain, mind you it helped having a bil,who was into car repair, he worked/ built the hondas in the nineties touring car championships, he has his own small business now, but as I buy my cars new or nearly new I don’t use him,.
LongDriver
West Sussex (coastal)
LongDriver is male  LongDriver has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 03:49 PM

Considering its 24 yrs old and with a relatively small short block 3.3litre engine, it has done well to cover 195,000 miles without a major overhaul/rebuild. I hope you have deep pockets :wink:
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2020, 06:36 PM

Yes, absolutely, there is no question that the problem is electronic. Luckily, I got towed to a location near a bus stop and I took out the battery and took it to Auto Zone where they do free battery charges. 2 hours later, I picked up a fully charged battery and took it back on the bus to my Toyota 4 runner.

The 4 runner started right up and I drove it back to Auto Zone, where they ran a test. Definitely, the alternator was bad. No sense in replacing the entire alternator (at $150 USD) when I can merely replace the alternator brushes for only $8 USD. Obviously the previous owner didn't do normal maintenance. He should have replaced the brushes at 150 K miles.

As soon as I receive the brushes from Amazon, I'll pull the alternator and put in new brushes. No wiring or soldering needed. They just slip right into place. Once I have the alternator on the bench, it's only a 20 minute job.

Once I have the alternator back in place AND trickle charge the battery AGAIN, I'll tackle the other minor electrical faults.
bakerman
Mexico

13-07-2020, 05:07 AM

1st phase of solving the electrical problem.

Today removed the battery and then pulled the alternator. Brushes should be here soon. When the alternator is back in place I'll trickle charge the new battery, which I wore down getting the SUV back home.

Located several blown fuses. One of them is for the tail lights and the other one I'm not sure about. hopefully it will be for the dashboard lights.
bakerman
Mexico

13-07-2020, 05:10 AM

Originally Posted by LongDriver ->
Considering its 24 yrs old and with a relatively small short block 3.3litre engine, it has done well to cover 195,000 miles without a major overhaul/rebuild. I hope you have deep pockets :wink:
I hope it requires more sweat than cash. Time I have. Lots of extra cash, I don't have.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-07-2020, 07:55 AM

Hi

You are are a Star Bakerman, I would have no idea at all what to do.

Good luck with your venture.
bakerman
Mexico

13-07-2020, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

You are are a Star Bakerman, I would have no idea at all what to do.

Good luck with your venture.
Thank you, Swimfeeders, for the kind words.
1/2 of the time I'm in over my head, but I keep plugging away and it seems to be coming along.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top