Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 02:42 PM

Re: Adder in my garden !

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Muddy, I am sure you already know, but if Mungo thought it was something to play with and aggravated it, he could easily get bitten and these bites can (but not always) be fatal.

Maybe he already knows it's there? Perhaps he knew before you did?

I understand you need to get a dog to the vets quickly though, day or night. Just ring ahead - and go.

I don't wish to spook you, but for me personally, I would be very nervous, and vigilant.
It's all very well for people to say they won't hurt you, but anyone could tread on them by accident, especially in long grass.

You positive it wasn't a Grass Snake?

Mungo is always after something in the garden so I expect he knows something Is there .

I didn’t see it’s back only it’s head and a few inches behind it head it was very dark coloured it could I suppose be a grass snake as their heads have similar colourings.i hope so.
Arena
France
Arena is male  Arena has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 02:49 PM

Had one in my garden.It attacked my two miniature dachs. Killed one and seriously injured the other.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have just gone out to feed the birds .
I have a fat ball hanger in the hedge above a dry stone wall for the small birds .
As I went to fill it a snake heads came out of the wall and then slid slowly back in again it was black with pale marking .

It was an adder I am going to have to move that hanger although on a good point they are timid and only bite if trodden on or cornered .

Looked exactly like this fellow
Oh how lovely, Muddy. Perhaps he/she wants a portrait! You are lucky to have such interesting wildlife - can't remember when I last saw a grass snake let alone an adder!
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 03:18 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I have just gone out to feed the birds .
I have a fat ball hanger in the hedge above a dry stone wall for the small birds .
As I went to fill it a snake heads came out of the wall and then slid slowly back in again it was black with pale marking .

It was an adder I am going to have to move that hanger although on a good point they are timid and only bite if trodden on or cornered .

Looked exactly like this fellow

....be careful Muddy...
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Oh how lovely, Muddy. Perhaps he/she wants a portrait! You are lucky to have such interesting wildlife - can't remember when I last saw a grass snake let alone an adder!

ST..an adder would scare me witless...I would be up all night..thinking it may get into the house some way and bite me.

Stupid thing to think....but they terrify me.....I nearly sat on one once as a child...whilst playing on our local common with friends.

We were playing hide and seek....
EZ Rider
Chatterbox
Surrey
EZ Rider is male  EZ Rider has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 03:22 PM

That's nothing, I have two Subtractors living in my garden. I'm hoping to Divide them in the hope they may Multiply.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK

26-07-2020, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by EZ Rider ->
That's nothing, I have two Subtractors living in my garden. I'm hoping to Divide them in the hope they may Multiply.

What type of snake are they EZ Rider?
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 10:35 AM

The Adder is supposed to be quite timid but I wouldn't count on it.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 12:44 PM

A lot of 'wild' creatures are timid unless they feel threatened.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!

27-07-2020, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by pauline3 ->
ST..an adder would scare me witless...I would be up all night..thinking it may get into the house some way and bite me.

Stupid thing to think....but they terrify me.....I nearly sat on one once as a child...whilst playing on our local common with friends.

We were playing hide and seek....
That could have bee drastic - for both of you!

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top