Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
shropshiregirl
Chatterbox
Shropshire
shropshiregirl is female  shropshiregirl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 01:02 PM

Re: Adder in my garden !

Originally Posted by paula ->
OMG that would terrify me, snakes and spiders are my worst nightmare
Me too Paula, my two worse nightmares. If I had seen an adder in my garden, I would have fled back indoors leaving husband and pooches to their fate and would be on the phone to anyone that would come and remove it.

Ghastly vile things!. Hence the reason I could never live somewhere like Australia, where they are both in abundance.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 06:58 AM

Ok update after some study and inquiry I have decided that Mups was right and it was a grass snake .
Apparently grass snakes love living in compost heaps and the wall is near to the compost heap in which something lives but I assumed it was mice .
Grass snakes eat mice .
But what clinched it for me ( I hope ) were its eyes which I saw very clearly -I was only a foot away .
They were round .
Apparently adders have slit eyes .
These were definitely round .
This is good news on the dog front !
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 07:05 AM

Good news then Muddy....I would quite like a harmless little snake living in my compost heap....emphasis on harmless
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Ok update after some study and inquiry I have decided that Mups was right and it was a grass snake .
Apparently grass snakes love living in compost heaps and the wall is near to the compost heap in which something lives but I assumed it was mice .
Grass snakes eat mice .
But what clinched it for me ( I hope ) were its eyes which I saw very clearly -I was only a foot away .
They were round .
Apparently adders have slit eyes .
These were definitely round .
This is good news on the dog front !

I think you are right about the eyes Muddy.
See here, and they do look quite different:

https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/how-i...dentify-snakes

Well done.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:18 PM

Muddy, I have had two grass snakes in my garden, there might be more but l have only ever seen two.
One slid out from under some grass cuttings that had rotted. They like the heat of those.

The other was at least a metre long and was tangled up in the netting protecting my runner beans. I think it was dead but had to get a friend to remove it for me. I was too scared!

Because of the length of the snake, l thought at first that it was an Adder but when l googled it, l discovered an Adder has a distinctive ‘V’ shape on its head and this snake didn’t.

I haven’t seen one since.... Thank Goodness!
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by Artangel ->
Muddy, I have had two grass snakes in my garden, there might be more but l have only ever seen two.
One slid out from under some grass cuttings that had rotted. They like the heat of those.

The other was at least a metre long and was tangled up in the fine netting protecting my runner beans. I think it was dead but had to get a friend to remove it for me. I was too scared!

Because of the length of the snake, l thought at first that it was an Adder but when l googled it, l discovered an Adder has a distinctive diamond shape on its head and this snake didn’t.

I haven’t seen one since.... Thank Goodness!

Think you'll find it's the other way round Art, and it's the Grass Snakes that are the biggest.
I think adult Adders are only about 2 & half ft, while Grass snakes are up to 5ft or a little more even.

* Good grief, just looked it up and Grass Snakes can live up to 25 years old. I never would have thought that!
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Think you'll find it's the other way round Art, and it's the Grass Snakes that are the biggest.
I think adult Adders are only about 2 & half ft, while Grass snakes are up to 5ft or a little more even.

* Good grief, just looked it up and Grass Snakes can live up to 25 years old. I never would have thought that!
Mups, l had never in my life seen a snake in the garden and at the time, l presumed that Adders were long and grass snakes were tiny!

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top