Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:21 PM

Scafell Pike: Tables turned as St Bernard needs mountain rescue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cumbria-53543367

Members of the Wasdale Mountain Rescue Team (MRT) went to four-year-old Daisy's aid on Scafell Pike. A team spokesman said Daisy had been showing signs of pain in her legs and was refusing to move.

Friday's operation, which involved 16 members of the MRT, took five hours as rescuers carried Daisy on a stretcher over obstacles including a waterfall.

The spokesman said: "The team rescues canine casualties around a dozen times every year but this was the first time a St Bernard breed has been rescued by the team. Daisy was a four-year-old female but still a massive dog. Daisy was in fact a rescue dog and extremely placid and compliant, which was a bonus for the stretcher-carry off the mountain. It was important to get Daisy off the mountain quickly as the weather was due to deteriorate later that evening."

After a good night's sleep Daisy has made a full recovery.

No details have been released about Daisy's owner.

Well done, Wasdale MRT .....
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-07-2020, 01:47 PM

Re: Scafell Pike: Tables turned as St Bernard needs mountain rescue

What a great story. I'm glad there are people around like that.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 11:42 PM

Daisy the St Bernard dog back home after Scafell Pike mountain rescue

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-535...ountain-rescue (video)

A St Bernard dog that had to be rescued from England's highest mountain has fully recovered and is back home with her owners.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-07-2020, 11:46 PM

This story was also on our news today.

Poor dog. Apparently she just lay down, completely exhausted, and refused to go another step.
I wonder why there was no mention of any owners though, that's odd don't you think?

I'm so glad she got the help and treatment she needed.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 12:31 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
This story was also on our news today.

Poor dog. Apparently she just lay down, completely exhausted, and refused to go another step.
I wonder why there was no mention of any owners though, that's odd don't you think?

I'm so glad she got the help and treatment she needed.
I found this "lighthearted" story very upsetting. How can responsible owners be so stupid to take a dog up the highest point in England?! I've hiked up there and it was very hard work. People just assume that dogs have the same stamina as we do. This is up there on the stupid list with the guy we met who took his husky on the Dubrovnik wall walk in 36 degree heat.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 06:45 AM

Especially those big heavy dogs .
Even my hyper active collie is finding the warm days tiring .
summer
Chatterbox
yorkshire
summer is female  summer has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 07:00 AM

I'm so pleased Daisy made it back...as for her owners they are probably too ashamed to show their faces.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

28-07-2020, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Originally Posted by summer ->
I'm so pleased Daisy made it back...as for her owners they are probably too ashamed to show their faces.
The owners are interviewed and shown in the video .....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Especially those big heavy dogs .
Even my hyper active collie is finding the warm days tiring .

That's what I thought Muddy, especially with their heavy coats as well.
Even more so if the dog isn't trained for that sort of exercise and usually spends her days laying about at home.

Good job she was so compliant and didn't panic at being carried on a stretcher. What a good girl.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

28-07-2020, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
The owners are interviewed and shown in the video .....

Sorry Omah, I didn't see that bit.
Will have a look again.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top