Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:47 PM

Re: text scam

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I loathe all these scammers we get now.
They are on the phone, at the door, on the internet - everywhere.

Good job you didn't ring them Pauline

I beg your pardon Paula, I called you Pauline by mistake.
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:48 PM

the very same thing happened to me a few years ago...I'm researching my family tree and had just bought £10 worth of credits ...to pay for any certificates I might send for ...five minutes later I got a phone call to say there had been fraudulent activity on my credit card...I told them I had used it ...but they insisted I phone the number on the back of my card which I did ...and when I got through to that number I again said I had used my card and refused to give any details.....
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-07-2020, 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I beg your pardon Paula, I called you Pauline by mistake.
One suspects that Pauline is on another line to a different fictional "caller"

Only joking Pauline

AGM - All Gods Matter
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 12:02 AM

Originally Posted by paula ->
the very same thing happened to me a few years ago...I'm researching my family tree and had just bought £10 worth of credits ...to pay for any certificates I might send for ...five minutes later I got a phone call to say there had been fraudulent activity on my credit card...I told them I had used it ...but they insisted I phone the number on the back of my card which I did ...and when I got through to that number I again said I had used my card and refused to give any details.....
So, you were saved. Phew, what a relief.

Have been "done" a couple of times - one involving a load of fraudulent claims from my Uber account (got the money back, but it was an inconvenience since I spotted them while abroad on holiday, and having one's credit card blocked was a bit of a pest).

The other was following a meal out at an Indian dinery (curiously with a Methodist Church District Superintendant, but that's another story), at which I used my credit card to pay. Found out a week or so later that the restaurant had a reputation for using card details for fraudulent purchases. Only one occurred, but I stopped it in time to mitigate further damage and got my money back. Needless to say, we don't eat there anymore.
sugarbug
canada
sugarbug is female  sugarbug has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 02:24 AM

I have so much fun, with the ones, that phone up about my computer.
I usually tell them I don't own a computers . That throw them right off .
One time a lady phoned and asked me about my computers .
She started saying something about windows , I told her my windows weren't broken . Then she asked if I had a lap top ..
I told I have a lap but I don't have a top on my lap .
She was from India so her English was terrible . I kept her on for a good 15 minutes .Before she hung up she asked me if I was sick in the head lol.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

29-07-2020, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by sugarbug ->
Before she hung up she asked me if I was sick in the head lol.
Oh, the irony
paula
scotland
paula is female  paula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-07-2020, 12:14 PM

good fun sugar bug....I bet she was hitting her head off a wall
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

29-07-2020, 12:21 PM

It is better to put the phone down without comment, imo.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

29-07-2020, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by monkeypuzzle ->
It is better to put the phone down without comment, imo.
True. Mind you, if you're bored then enaging them for a few minutes for a bit of entertainment has the advantage of stopping someone else being pestered. There are only 24 hours in a day, after all
monkeypuzzle
United Kingdom
monkeypuzzle is female 

29-07-2020, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Dextrous63 ->
True. Mind you, if you're bored then enaging them for a few minutes for a bit of entertainment has the advantage of stopping someone else being pestered. There are only 24 hours in a day, after all
It probably isn't wise to do so, occasionally the receiver of the call can be charged for it. There was a big fuss awhile back about that sort of scam. I block the number as soon as I receive the call.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top