Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 12:37 PM

Wildlife camera

I was just wondering if anyone had a wildlife camera set up in their garden?
If so what sort is it and is it difficult to install?
I rather like the idea of seeing what ( if anything ) comes to my garden at night .
I think a hedgehog does ( trod in its poo)
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 01:42 PM

Re: Wildlife camera

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I rather like the idea of seeing what ( if anything ) comes to my garden at night .

No, I haven't got one Muddy, but I really like the idea.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:15 PM

Yep Muddy, bought one out of the 'Easylife' magazine for about eighty quid. You can set it up to take still shots or short video clips. It also catches black and white shots at night with it's array of Infrared LED's.

I got some good quality shots of postmen and runners coming and going, and quite a few inquisitive cats, but up-to-date no wildlife if you don't count the odd pidgeon or Blackbird.

I've got it on the workbench at the moment, building a mains driven power supply instead of having to rely on batteries. They are particularly good for home security.

https://www.easylife.co.uk/category/...urity?TRE00000
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:21 PM

Oooh I like the sound of that Muddy. Never entered my head about a camera to capture night wildlife.
One of my drain covers in the back garden keeps being moved and I can't understand what animal is doing it. I thought it might be a fox but ......

Foxy - how long do the batteries last in these cameras and are the batteries for it expensive?
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Oooh I like the sound of that Muddy. Never entered my head about a camera to capture night wildlife.
One of my drain covers in the back garden keeps being moved and I can't understand what animal is doing it. I thought it might be a fox but ......

Foxy - how long do the batteries last in these cameras and are the batteries for it expensive?
They take four standard AA batteries, but you can put in eight if it's going to be left unattended for a long time Pesta. I only used four, and they didn't need replacing for the six months It was in operation. I think in 'Movie' mode it might use them more quickly.

Don't use duracell batteries because I find that they always leak and damage the battery terminals, energizer are my preferred brand, I've never known one leak yet and they last a decent length of time. Just the standard one's will suffice, don't bother paying extra for the supposed 'Long Life' versions. This also applies to any other battery operated stuff you might have......
Pesta
Chatterbox
North of the South UK
Pesta is female  Pesta has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2020, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
They take four standard AA batteries, but you can put in eight if it's going to be left unattended for a long time Pesta. I only used four, and they didn't need replacing for the six months It was in operation. I think in 'Movie' mode it might use them more quickly.

Don't use duracell batteries because I find that they always leak and damage the battery terminals, energizer are my preferred brand, I've never known one leak yet and they last a decent length of time. Just the standard one's will suffice, don't bother paying extra for the supposed 'Long Life' versions. This also applies to any other battery operated stuff you might have......
Ooooh thanks for the info Foxy... I thought they might've used some weird type of batteries, so it's good they're just standard AAs.
I must admit I buy Duracell, thinking they're the best and feel miffed if there's only Energizer on the shelf. I've taken on board your views of them. Thanks, I duly noted the info on my laptop.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-08-2020, 11:42 AM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Ooooh thanks for the info Foxy... I thought they might've used some weird type of batteries, so it's good they're just standard AAs.
I must admit I buy Duracell, thinking they're the best and feel miffed if there's only Energizer on the shelf. I've taken on board your views of them. Thanks, I duly noted the info on my laptop.
You're welcome Pesta....

I use a lot of batteries, and leaky Duracells have blighted me in the past. I suppose really, we should remove the batteries if something isn't going to be used for a while.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 11:48 AM

OGF a does it take pictures every night ?
Do you have to erase them how does it work .
You are dealing with a techno dinosaura here
Takahashi
United Kingdom
Takahashi is male  Takahashi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2020, 12:05 PM

They use SD cards just like a camera. In the morning just remove the card and put in your laptop/pc to view images. Amazon have some nice wildlife cameras on their site.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

06-08-2020, 08:04 PM

OGF a does it take pictures every night ?
Do you have to erase them how does it work .
You are dealing with a techno dinosaura here
Yep, Takahashi is right Muddy. The camera takes a standard SD card and will record for several nights depending how big a card you use. I use two 32GB cards and alternate them. I found that taking stills will give the cards virtually unlimited use. Very easy to use Muddy, just install the batteries and SD card and off you go. Finding a good place to site it is a bit hit and miss though, and you may have to move it about to get the best results. I think they are brill!...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top