Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 09:34 PM

Natural fur

How do people feel about the use of natural fur in clothing?

Simple question. I'll explain why I asked later.
marmaduke
uk ( Cheshire)
marmaduke is male  marmaduke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 09:51 PM

Re: Natural fur

Personally I love the feel of my natural fur lined moleskin thongs against my skin during these winter months
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by marmaduke ->
Personally I love the feel of my natural fur lined moleskin thongs against my skin during these winter months
Pics?
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 10:35 PM

Fur coats look better on their natural owners - in my opinion. I would not want to own one. Yes, I know - we wear/use leather and sheep skin - but cattle and sheep are - supposedly - humanely kilied for food and their pelts are a by product that can be put to good use.

Fur used in the fashion industry comes, mainly, from animals which are killed in cruel ways - so as not to mark the pelts - and often from species in danger of extinction - tigers, sable, leopards etc.,
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 10:54 PM

I can understand why people wear them in places where temperatures are minus 30 and beyond. It's warmer than anything man made and necessary for survival. But it's not for fashion in normal cold weather. Thankfully it's no longer cool or trendy to wear fur.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Fur coats look better on their natural owners - in my opinion. I would not want to own one. Yes, I know - we wear/use leather and sheep skin - but cattle and sheep are - supposedly - humanely kilied for food and their pelts are a by product that can be put to good use.

Fur used in the fashion industry comes, mainly, from animals which are killed in cruel ways - so as not to mark the pelts - and often from species in danger of extinction - tigers, sable, leopards etc.,
Thanks. A helpful response to a serious question (and yours Annie).

Perhaps I can specify some particular animals involved:
mink; fox; raccoon; rabbit.
How about these specifically?

Again, I'll explain later why I ask.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:16 PM

When I was a child my mum had a black coat with a mink collar. It looked beautiful. I am not sure how warm it was but I never questioned her wearing it at the time. It was the fashion.

I've given up trying to be vegetarian or ethical. Loving animals isn't what we think it is.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-03-2019, 11:40 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Thanks. A helpful response to a serious question (and yours Annie).

Perhaps I can specify some particular animals involved:
mink; fox; raccoon; rabbit.
How about these specifically?

Again, I'll explain later why I ask.
I can remember mother having a 'fox fur' - it included the mask, brush and paws - sort of wrapped around her shoulders. I hated it.

Rabbit - a bit ambiguous, I suppose, it is considered a food animal and - if you are going to kill/eat it - you may as well use the fur. I believe glove makers still use it in some places.

Fox and Raccoon - I know they are regarded as vermin by some and, maybe, need to be controlled but - if their fur became fashionable again - there is a danger they could become extinct or even 'farmed' and I would not like to see either of those options come to fruition.

Mink - are nasty vicious little devils that kill for fun and have caused havoc in farmlands here.

They are already intensively farmed in USA for the fashion industry - not sure about here. Their fat is used to waterproof leather, to make cosmetics and even put into some medicines. Some of their fur is used to make false eyelashes, and whatever is left is made into manure. So the justification is that nothing is wasted and they are killed humanely (?) by carbon monoxide poisoning.

I still would not want to wear them as a coat.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:16 AM

No I bought some real fur lined gloves, last year, they smell of dead animals.
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2019, 12:18 AM

Originally Posted by Sweetie pie ->
No I bought some real fur lined gloves, last year, they smell of dead animals.

You are supposed to wear them on your hands, not on your nose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top