Join for free
Page 29 of 42 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 > Last »
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 10:50 AM

Re: Churchill NZ under lockdown!

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Yeah, they all need to move into the 21st century.

The best thing that could ever happen in this world is do away with all religions, all it ever does is cause troubles, fights and argument.
They moved into the 20th Century the same time as we did or before.

Women's Right Movement in Iran 1910.

Pre 1979 before the Shah of Persia was removed , due to widespread protests and the Islamic Revolution. I think it was France who gave the ayatollah Khomeini sanctuary , prior to moving back into Iran after being expelled from Iran and Iraq. France granted him Political Asylum. Another fine mess we assisted in the making.

Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
it was not necessary for her to wear a hijab to show respect.
If I go to a Buddhist temple anywhere in the world or indeed a laundromat in Malaysia or even my daughter's house in Canberra I take my shoes off before entering. It is a sign of respect for the customs of the place.

Perhaps you don't remember when men took their hat off and women always wore a hat in church or perhaps you just don't understand the concept of respect?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
The problem with your post Julie, is that many women don't want to wear what they are told to & neither do their husbands want them to... it is the religion that does. They are afraid not to wear what they are told for fear of the consequences!

Even if they could find a few Emmeline Pankhursts in their midst, do you really believe that would give them the courage to risk harm so they could wear what they want?
I have read many reports that say Saudi women, forced to wear the black cloaks, were often naked underneath..... as a form of protest, but they wouldn't have survived if anyone had seen them naked!

The women you know have been conditioned to remain covered & are probably afraid and embarrassed to say they don't like it.
Ask yourself , how many women would choose to wear long black cloaks( which retain the heat owing to the colour!) in temperatures of over 40 degrees C.? They have to in Saudi!

You cannot speak for Islam based on the relatively few you have met in the UK, because the law in the UK would punish many of their actions.... if the women had the courage to report them! Sadly they don't have that courage.
It's all a bit odd isn't it Twink. If I were to knock on my neighbour's door, she will always appear wearing the hijab, yet I can look out of my bedroom window and see her in her garden without it.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
It's all a bit odd isn't it Twink. If I were to knock on my neighbour's door, she will always appear wearing the hijab, yet I can look out of my bedroom window and see her in her garden without it.
I feel that it is all connected with male dominance! God help them if they ever allow female imams... because you all know how quickly women can change things!
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 12:22 PM

I feel that it is all connected with male dominance! God help them if they ever allow female imams... because you all know how quickly women can change things!
I think it would be great if the women were treated a bit better - equally would be nice but that's probably pushing it too far.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I think it would be great if the women were treated a bit better - equally would be nice but that's probably pushing it too far.
I always think it would be great if one of them sued for not being able to display their lovely hair. After all if the men can, surely it is sexual discrimination to prevent the women!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 02:33 PM

The problem with your post Julie, is that many women don't want to wear what they are told to & neither do their husbands want them to... it is the religion that does. They are afraid not to wear what they are told for fear of the consequences!

Even if they could find a few Emmeline Pankhursts in their midst, do you really believe that would give them the courage to risk harm so they could wear what they want?
I have read many reports that say Saudi women, forced to wear the black cloaks, were often naked underneath..... as a form of protest, but they wouldn't have survived if anyone had seen them naked!

The women you know have been conditioned to remain covered & are probably afraid and embarrassed to say they don't like it.
Ask yourself , how many women would choose to wear long black cloaks( which retain the heat owing to the colour!) in temperatures of over 40 degrees C.? They have to in Saudi!

You cannot speak for Islam based on the relatively few you have met in the UK, because the law in the UK would punish many of their actions.... if the women had the courage to report them! Sadly they don't have that courage.
I don't disagree twink but you have to admit it is a bit funny the same people want them to be able to chose often are the ones telling others what they should wear. My best friend left work last night huddled up in a full covering black burka for the first time last night, why ? not because she was told to but to try and hide as she was scared after the latest killings. I've watched her and others gradually withdraw and wear more and more coverings because they want to disappear. Her choice not her husbands but a choice I really wish she didn't feel she had to make. Only 6 years ago she was wearing typical colourful floral hijabs not these heavy total coverings. Speaking to her daughter she is hoping once the evenings are lighter and hopefully after she passes her driving test she will have more confidence and want to dress as she used to.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 02:44 PM

But Julie wearing a burqa in the UK makes women stand out not disappear and how is it supposed to protect her ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
But Julie wearing a burqa in the UK makes women stand out not disappear and how is it supposed to protect her ?
Well unless you can see in the dark a black cloak and face covering pretty much makes you invisible here, if we had better lighting might not be the case but she is traveling to a fro work in the pitch black. Personally I try to wear bright clothing so head lights pick me up but I don't have as much to fear as she does.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

20-03-2019, 07:49 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't disagree twink but you have to admit it is a bit funny the same people want them to be able to chose often are the ones telling others what they should wear. My best friend left work last night huddled up in a full covering black burka for the first time last night, why ? not because she was told to but to try and hide as she was scared after the latest killings. I've watched her and others gradually withdraw and wear more and more coverings because they want to disappear. Her choice not her husbands but a choice I really wish she didn't feel she had to make. Only 6 years ago she was wearing typical colourful floral hijabs not these heavy total coverings. Speaking to her daughter she is hoping once the evenings are lighter and hopefully after she passes her driving test she will have more confidence and want to dress as she used to.
I feel sorry for your friend Julie, but please remind her that there are also idiot drivers on the road, who could hit her with a car if she is not easily visible.
Sadly it isn't just Muslims that are afraid of being on the street at night, because, with so many people carrying knives, I would be surprised if everybody didn't feel safe when walking in the dark!

Page 29 of 42 « First < 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top