Join for free
Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »
Mark6262
New Member!
Derbyshire Dales
Mark6262 is male 

01-02-2013, 02:41 PM

Shoes on or off in the house.

Hi there, how many of you wear shoes in the house? Or do you you take them off at the door? We take our shoes off at the door and wear slippers. Guests are also asked to remove their shoes. Is this what you do?
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 03:13 PM

Re: Shoes on or off in the house.

My wife wears slippers but I prefer sandals in the house. Guests please themselves but most seem to take their shoes off.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 03:30 PM

I wear slippers, my husband sometimes wears slippers and sometimes shoes.

I would never ask my guests to remove their shoes when they come into my house.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

01-02-2013, 04:26 PM

Everybody is expected to remove their shoes when entering our home. If the Queen was to visit I would expect her to do so too. Many years ago a curtain salesman from Plumbs, whom we had asked to call, refused to remove his shoes, so my husband showed him the door. The firm lost a very good order.
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 04:36 PM

The only time we ask people to remove their shoes is on the very rare occasions when we have newborn puppies - the rule for the puppy room is "NO OUTDOOR SHOES" - apart from that it would be pretty silly asking humans to remove their shoes when there are a dozen dogs running in and out of the house all the time!

Mick
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 05:01 PM

Shoes off at the door at our house and most visitors notice and remove their shoes as well. Every dog we have also soon learns to wait at the door to have feet cleaned before coming in. Saves a lot of mess.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

01-02-2013, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by MickB ->
The only time we ask people to remove their shoes is on the very rare occasions when we have newborn puppies - the rule for the puppy room is "NO OUTDOOR SHOES" - apart from that it would be pretty silly asking humans to remove their shoes when there are a dozen dogs running in and out of the house all the time!

Mick
In your case I would agree, but we don't have animals running around our place. When we did have cats and dogs they were never permitted anywhere other than the kitchen or utility room.
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 07:04 PM

It's just as well that we are all different because I have never made guests feel uncomfortable by asking them to remove their shoes, they're not entering a temple, just our humble welcoming warm home..

That Plumbs salesman was an idiot though, refusing to comply,I have to say.If he was a half decent salesman he would have stripped down to his Y fronts to get an order.

I don't have a dog, but our cat ARCHIE has the run of the house, keeping a dog virtually outside is nearer to the realm of working dogs, not a family pet. Isnt it a bit unhygienic to keep animals in the kitchen where food is prepared?

Not having a go Willow,just surmising.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 07:31 PM

Well we take our shoes off in the Entrance door and put our slippers on, also we have separate flipflops to wear in the garden. We don't ask friends to take their shoes off, although many do, and parents and family always take their shoes off. I do ask Maintenance Men who have muddy boots on to take their shoes off and they look at me in digust.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 07:42 PM

We don't have a cat, but our dog lives in the house with us and pretty much goes wherever she wants in the house, apart from on the beds. As for hygiene I think in many ways dogs are more hygienic around the house than cats because as a rule dogs don't climb up onto the worktops and tables or go on/in the beds unless they are permitted. They tend to have their own particular spots in their house and they can be trained anyway, whereas cats always please themselves. I don't think we have ever caught anything from keeping dogs, but we have caught colds and other things which the grandchildren have brought round with them.
I dislike dirty floors and do my best to keep them clean - hence shoes off at the door. All sorts of nasties can come in on shoes and taking them off indoors is a habit we have had for as long as I can remember.

Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top