Join for free
Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Re: Shoes on or off in the house.

I change into slippers when I come into my flat. I would never ask friends, or tradespeople either, to remove their footwear. I have a door mat outside my door for people to clean their shoes on.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 08:04 PM

I always remove my shoes and don the slippers whenever I come into the house, same with the wife, I would never ask anyone to remove their footwear except they were wet and muddy.
Knowing my relatives if I asked them to take off their shoes I'd never get rid of them, before long they'd be asking you for pyjamas.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 08:29 PM

Yes shoes off at our house too. All of my family take their shoes off as do guests and I don't have to ask. As for tradesmen they would not get over my doorstep with wet or muddy shoes.
We changed over from Virgin to Sky last year and the engineer wore those disposable overshoes, he put them on, on entry and took them off to work outdoors and then repeated until the job was done. I was impressed and told him so.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 09:02 PM

I don't live in a palace either, it is a home.
No way do I expect anyone to remove their shoes, if they come in and bring in mud or whet ever, so what it is cleanable.
However if they take their shoes off they will find the floor clean.
I always remember what an old uncle said to Dilly one year,"I do love coming to your home it feels comfortable and lived in"
But everyone to their own, but I have never in my 74 years been asked to remove my footwear when visiting.

Arfa
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 09:54 PM

I never ask anyone to remove shoes however my son does, funny at our house the kids take there's off, son doesn't. Dog have slways had the run of the house. A friend was burgled I asked where the 2 dogs were, locked in the kitchen, but they were allowed the run of the house after. our's also go on the bed and always have done cept for one who would only sleep downstaires, her choice, all doors were left open.
Michael
Near London,UK
Michael is male  Michael has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 10:34 PM

It's an automatic thing for us to take slippers when we are invited to enter someone's house.

We just carry our indoor slippers in a small carry bag.

It's just about being respectful of people's house rules - and that works either way.

We keep a selection of slippers and sandals available for visitors.

The free holiday slippers are worth keeping and are very useful for such occasions.

I question the intelligence of people if they put up a sign.

If you don't want people to wear shoes in your house, just politely ask them to remove their shoes.

(Exceptions - would be formal invitations and houses where animals are allowed to roam about freely)

However if you want a sign?

Here is one I prepared earlier...

Gabi
Lancs,.
Gabi is female  Gabi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 10:40 PM

I don't like slippers so wear slip on sandals, I don't ask anyone to take their shoes off. I live in a home not a show house if you have a really good carpet using the Dyson everyday keeps it lovely and clean. All the workmen who've come use overshoes so they are not a problem either.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 11:11 PM

I wouldn't ask people to remove their shoes, but I have always found that if it was wet and muddy outside the majority of people would volunteer to take their dirty shoes off, as would I in someone else's home if my shoes were wet or muddy. Here we rarely get rain and mud and all floors are tiled, a quick mop round and all is clean again. My dogs go where they like in the house, after all it is their home too, if by chance they do get wet going out in the rain then they are rubbed down and dried. I will be honest and say that if I went to a home where slippers were kept especially to give visitors, then I wouldn't be making a second visit to that home, I would be afraid to sit down in case I disturbed a cushion or something. I like guests (or at least most of them) to feel comfortable in my home.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-02-2013, 11:44 PM

Interesting question. Personally I don't have any rules but always take my shoes and socks off in the house other people can do what they want. My daughter doesn't allow anybody in her house with their shoes on and I bitterly complain that she should have a seat or bench by the front door for me to sit on to remove my shoes (I now have dispensation to sit in the lounge to take my shoes off - squeaky wheel and all that).

As for pets I think the fur they leave behind is far worse than any dirt they might bring into the house - mind you, women are nearly as bad; after my daughter or daughter in law visit I notice the carpet sweeper is clogged up with their hair.
Antibrown
Cumbria UK
Antibrown is male  Antibrown has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-02-2013, 07:57 AM

We live in a home not a show house and people can wear what they want to. I prefer to wear shoes, 'she who must be obeyed' prefers to wear shoes, when my son visits he walks around in bare feet, my daughter and grand daughter wear slippers, any visitors, Tradespeople or otherwise are never asked to remove their shoes as we think it would be ignorant and signs of snobbery to ask such a thing.

Our home is one where no-one stands on ceremony, they do as they wish, even for visitors our home is their home and can be treated as such.

Page 2 of 11 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top