Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 07:48 PM

Horse Meat

I was just thinking about findus who have been caught with horse meat in there products , They have said the product was made by another company ....
Isnt this false advertising ? If I did (but I wouldnt) buy a product by findus I would expect it to be made by them ... or is it just me that would think that ?
I have never understood ready meals why buy some thing at 10 times the price of the ingrediants in it. when you could buy and cook it your self.
Maybe I should of put this in grumpy corner ...
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 08:02 PM

Re: Horse Meat

It is against the laws of advertising to make a false claim about the content of food but if people buy food 'of unknown origin' I guess they take a chance on what is in it .

When food manufacturers buy in the content for their produce, without testing every item it must be quite difficult to be absolutely sure what they are getting. In some instances one lot of chopped red meat can look like another.

I don't buy processed food with the exception of baked beans and tinned salmon and have never eaten a burger except those I made myself. I never fancied eating brains/eyes and left over bits of animals which I guess goes into some processed food.
Nobaggage
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 08:07 PM

Yes I totally agree I dont eat any ready made meals I wont even buy mince meat.
But what I meant was if findus sell a lasg by findus how can they then turn around and say another company made it so we didnt know about the horse meat , or is there a message on the box saying findus lasg is made by another compamy? in that case why pay for the name as a cheaper brand is probaly made by sme people
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-02-2013, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
Yes I totally agree I dont eat any ready made meals I wont even buy mince meat.
But what I meant was if findus sell a lasg by findus how can they then turn around and say another company made it so we didnt know about the horse meat , or is there a message on the box saying findus lasg is made by another compamy? in that case why pay for the name as a cheaper brand is probaly made by sme people
Hi Baggy I understand it is not unusual for a food manufacturer to make a similar product for a number of companies varying the ingredients slightly to reflect the price/image of each company.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 12:49 AM

When I was in Paris, I used to go to a cafe/restaurant opposite the Gard de Nord train station. I always bought steak and chips as it was nice - until I discovered it was horsemeat! I felt ill at the thought of eating horsemeat! At the time, when I did eat it, I did think it was a wee bit tough!!

I have also had Findus Lasanga - won't be having that again either!
maggis
Adelaide South Australia
maggis is female  maggis has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 06:11 AM

Maybe somewhere on the packaging it might say "made from local and imported products" and the meat is processed somewhere else then sold to Findus to use?
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 08:51 AM

People, people, people - so Findus (amongst others) have been found to be selling horse meat. Yes its wrong in that horse meat is cheaper than beef and therefore Findus (and the other food manufacturers) have profited greatly from their deception, and I hope the Food Standards Agency clamps down on these companies and imposes huge fines (I wonder if the extent of the fine can solve our national debt problem). However, horsemeat is ok to consume, I've eaten it and Baggy, living in France at the moment is also likely to have eaten some too whether knowingly or not. There is nothing wrong in eating horse meat per se, providing we are told what it is and we're not paying premium prices for beef.

As a lot of you on here already know, I have a very good butcher not far away and he sells 'safari meats', so I've bought and eaten (inter alia) Bison, Camel, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, Water Buffalo, Wildebeeste, and Zebra, none of which have adversely affected my health. On the contrary, most of this meat is very healthy, since there is little or no 'fat' on it, just good solid chunks of flesh.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
People, people, people - so Findus (amongst others) have been found to be selling horse meat. Yes its wrong in that horse meat is cheaper than beef and therefore Findus (and the other food manufacturers) have profited greatly from their deception, and I hope the Food Standards Agency clamps down on these companies and imposes huge fines (I wonder if the extent of the fine can solve our national debt problem). However, horsemeat is ok to consume, I've eaten it and Baggy, living in France at the moment is also likely to have eaten some too whether knowingly or not. There is nothing wrong in eating horse meat per se, providing we are told what it is and we're not paying premium prices for beef.

As a lot of you on here already know, I have a very good butcher not far away and he sells 'safari meats', so I've bought and eaten (inter alia) Bison, Camel, Eland, Kangaroo, Kudu, Ostrich, Water Buffalo, Wildebeeste, and Zebra, none of which have adversely affected my health. On the contrary, most of this meat is very healthy, since there is little or no 'fat' on it, just good solid chunks of flesh.

I not so sure Findus have profited as they could of been duped, apparently there are organised gangs involved in the selling of horse meat
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 10:52 AM

BBC NEWS this morning some of the Findus products contained 100% horse meat, now calling for police investigation. Big business and a lot's coming from Poland.
Nobaggage

08-02-2013, 11:21 AM

Its not the eating of the meat that worries me ... but the way companies get away with all the lying they do and false advertising
I worked for a long time at a well nknow super market and know of many of the lies they tell like selling cheap Halal meat with out a lable on it saying it is Halal . The lies in the pricing are common place.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top