Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 11:27 AM

Re: Horse Meat

I think the real scandal in this issue is one of deception and mis-reprsentation on the part of the French. What we think we are consuming is not beef. This does need to be addressed and those responsible punished. If it is horse then it must say so on the food labels.
As most people know, we in the UK do not routinely eat horsemeat but plenty of other countries do and as long as it is properly regulated and conforms to health and welfare regulations horses can be a meat to be eaten like other animals. As long as EU slaughter and health and safety regulations are adherred to then horse meat should be safe to eat.
However, there is a drug called phenylbutazone, which is a NSAID commonly administered to horses in this country and abroad. This drug is a carsinogenic substance which is harmful to humans. It is banned from meat and animal products intended for human consumption in this country as well as the US and Canada. Can anyone be sure that this drug has not been administered to the live animal (is the meat certificated as being "free from")? If there is even a lack of honesty about what the meat is then I have my doubts. Every year some 100,000 ponies are exported to the EU from this country for ultimate slaughter and to be consumed by humans. Do these animals re-enter this country as meat products like the Findus lasagne and other processed products? I don't think we can be sure. Wherever there is money to be made unscrupulous people and companies will cut corners to make extra profit. I bet the French authorities are running around like headless chickens at the moment trying to find the paperwork to substantiate the health of what they have fraudently mis-sold to this country. I did read somewhere that so far they are refusing to comment.
eccles
South West
eccles is female  eccles has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by Nobaggage ->
I have never understood ready meals why buy some thing at 10 times the price of the ingrediants in it. when you could buy and cook it your self.
:
Do you really not know why? Laziness and the lack of cooking skills of course.
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 12:37 PM

Originally Posted by eccles ->
Do you really not know why? Laziness and the lack of cooking skills of course.
Your probally right But have you ever tried to open one of those sealed packs ...much easier to peel a carrot or potatoe !!

Jamies 15mins meals show how quick and easy it can be.
Plus with a little planning and to cut cost I cook about 10 portions of lasg , stew, cottage pie or what ever and freeze the other portions then on days when I have been out I can leave one to defrost and just heat up on return Simples...
hazel
Lancashire U.K.
hazel is female  hazel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 12:41 PM

A lot of elderly people buy them too, not everyone can stand at a stove and cook, several friends with arthritus cannot peel veg, some people have to rely on them I'm afraid.
Nobaggage
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 01:28 PM

I know Im a rural gal and probally live in lala land .... But I would be horrified if I had an eldery neighbour who couldnt manage to eat any thing but R meals. My Dads neighbours take 40pounds a week off him and every evening with out fail take him a hot meal , She is cooking for 2 so one more to her makes little difference (her words) Also in the morning the husband picks up my dads and his own paper takes it next door and will stop for a chatter while his wife does the house work (keeps him outta the way she says) one of them pops up later in the day and swops the papers again another natter. Then as he goes in the evening makes sure Dad has locked up and has everything he needs ... As a family we cant thank them enough as none of us live near him and he refuses to move. She also cooks him cakes takes him to town once a week and passes on books mag jigsaws etc.... An amazing couple. In my own village in Cornwall I live on my own 10 months out of 12 and although Im fit and able to take care of my self , many neighbours pop in for no reason other than they may not of seen me walk past with the dog that day and to check I havnt fallen down the stairs ... Maybe its just a rural thing as its the same here in france , come evening you see many an eldery person totting up the road to an even more elderly person with a tray . The men of the village del and bring in wood for elderly neighbours. Even I get roped in to help with gardens and taking people to the super market when I go.... It takes very little time out of some ones day to help another ... Also home cooked food must surley keep eldery healthy better than the fat salt and sugar which most ready meals consist of??? Thats me off my box for the day... going next door to get my elderly neighbour blotto now ...;0)) or she will get me blotto .... If Im capable of typing later I will be back on
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 01:36 PM

Aaahhhh 'our' Baggy is going next door to sample some home-brewed parsnip wine - lethal stuff!!!
pixie
Canada
pixie is female  pixie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 02:31 PM

do not eat red meat
spinner
yorkshire
spinner is female  spinner has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-02-2013, 04:11 PM

Just another reason to be vegetarian.
(but I bet they put carrots in the bean-burgers)
Nobaggage

08-02-2013, 04:23 PM

Just got back from neighbours .... she brought out a bright yellow bottle of a home made lemon liquor... Very tasty powerful and warming we sat and watched the snow and talked about growing veg... Not bad for a lady who cant speak english and me who speaks little french... but we got there , She is 87 and a widow very independant and has a massive veg garden that she tends alone she puts me to shame with my little one back at home which is rarley weed free.
Nobaggage

08-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by spinner ->
Just another reason to be vegetarian.
(but I bet they put carrots in the bean-burgers)
I bet they pea in them as well

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top