Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 10:32 AM

Dogs understand Human perspective:)

Read this article on Twitter earlier - and I believe it is so true as my Loki raids the fridge if I don't tape it shut She sussed out that if she licks the tape it softens it and she peels it back

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-21411249
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 11:23 AM

Re: Dogs understand Human perspective:)

"Dr Juliane Kaminski, from the University of Portsmouth's psychology department, said the study was "incredible because it implies dogs understand the human can't see them, meaning they might understand the human perspective".

Its an interesting subject, but I am not sure if it is that the dog might be understanding the human perspective, but it certainly understands differences in a situation. It's just being opportunistic as dogs are (and humans). It's is normal, I think, for the dog to realise that it is dark, just like we do, and there maybe an advantage to be taken in the dark - more chance of success.
My dog doesn't take anything if there is anyone around and she thinks she will be censured or unsuccessful; she is the very model of virtue (if you could call it virtue) but you can bet that she will take full advantage of a situation if she realises she has the opportunity and advantage. Dogs know just like we do what dakness means, it's insitinctive - they make use of their senses and favourable situations to their best advantage just as they would if they were hunting their food. The night and darkness means the odds may have shifted in their favour - they are predators after all.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 11:24 AM

Hi Rosemary, the research is not about how crafty dogs are but how they understand how our minds work and can use this to further their own ends which is even more clever !
Nobaggage
Cornwall UK/ Carcassonne France
Nobaggage is female  Nobaggage has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 11:27 AM

People who dont have dogs will never understand how clever they are.
My 15 year old will tell me exactly what she wants .... first she will stand by the item she wants like her food or water bowl, if I dont pay attention she will bring them to me.She has pain killers for her back I kkep in the cupboard under the skin. she will stand by the door and tap it .to tell me if she needs one early . She stands at the door when needs a pee. She can open doors to get into the room she wants to get into. She will also get over excited with in an hour of hubby arriving home even when he has been away for months . She also tells me when its cold by sitting in front of the fire and staring at it .... she has a old blanket on the sofa she will pull it over her when cold as well. she is more human than some people I meet.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

12-02-2013, 11:38 AM

We have had a lot of the animals over the years, some were brighter than others. But when all said and done they are well below the human species in the intelligence stakes.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
Hi Rosemary, the research is not about how crafty dogs are but how they understand how our minds work and can use this to further their own ends which is even more clever !
I don't think this is surprising, they are intelligent and adaptive predatory anmals who hunt and need to take calculated risks to obtain their food (or at least they used to be - the instinct is still there in domestic dogs). Hunting is not an easy way to get food and unless they are able to understand and make use of how other creatures think and are likely to behave, they would not have been so successful as a species. They are pretty good at weighing up the odds of success or failure as indidviduals and as a group and also, (which is quite impressive and illustrates a fairly high level of intelligence) in creating a situation which may tip the scales to their advantage.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK

12-02-2013, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Willow ->
We have had a lot of the animals over the years, some were brighter than others. But when all said and done they are well below the human species in the intelligence stakes.
I sense that this is said in a depreciatory and dismissive fashion Willow. I believe it is a simplistic and somewhat naive view to only include the measurement of how "bright" something (or someone) might be when apportioning value and/or worthiness (I'm not thinking financial worth here). You and I could not hope to be successful at many of the things that so called lesser animals excel at.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

12-02-2013, 01:18 PM

I don't deny animals can do things humans can't, probably because we have evolved beyond it being a necessity for us to have those abilities anymore.
Brandykins
Fondly Remembered
near Glasgow Scotland
Brandykins is female  Brandykins has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-02-2013, 01:25 PM

Well, whatever, Willow, I expected a comment like that from you! I believe all dogs are intelligent, some breeds more than others perhaps.
Willow
UK
Willow is female 

12-02-2013, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by Brandykins ->
Well, whatever, Willow, I expected a comment like that from you! I believe all dogs are intelligent, some breeds more than others perhaps.
And what is wrong with that comment? I wouldn't mistreat an animal, but neither would I pamper one, or treat it as a surrogate human, which it isn't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top