Join for free
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 07:16 PM

Why the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor

What do you think?

Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 08:07 PM

Re: Why the rich stay rich and the poor stay poor

I am not sure about this .
Some people never leave the pit face mentality .
Others aspire to wealth and manage to do it
A great deal of luck and determination are needed for a poor man to become rich .
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I am not sure about this .
Some people never leave the pit face mentality .
Others aspire to wealth and manage to do it
A great deal of luck and determination are needed for a poor man to become rich .
This is fascinating and thank you for posting it

I suspect that he is largely right about a significant part of one's destiny is determined during the first few nurtural years.

However, there is a dilemma/contradiction regarding what is within one's nature (indeed he seems to imply that one's nature is part of the first 7 years nurturing).

I read somewhere that "motivation is the homeostatic imbalance between the ego and the id". No doubt others on here will be able to provide a more detailed and knowledgeable explanation, but to me it means that what makes us move forward is the difference in contour lines between what we are and what we want to be, and this seems entirely conducive with the use of words such as "uphill struggle", "coasting" etc.

Well, this is an opening reply which is a starting point.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:46 PM

When you think about it really it takes far more ambition and drive for a poor person to better their circumstances than for a rich person to do so. Also takes a huge change in way of life that IMO can be detrimental to their families and friendships.

They either have to leave people behind and get an entire new set of friends and make a new family or lead a double life of some sort.

Just thinking of recent press about the Beckhams where the multi millionaires are being pretty well told off by the press for ignoring the plight of I think it was David's poorer sister who needed bailing out. The power ratio is all wrong in families like that with people feeling hard done by both the rich person and the poorer person.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK
Dextrous63 is male  Dextrous63 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:54 PM

As a second thought, it would indeed be easier for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven than for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle.

All the camel has to do is to unload its physical baggage to pass through that hole in the wall. A rich man would have to unload a whole existence
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:56 PM

Anyone can become rich but it has nothing to do with working hard.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Anyone can become rich but it has nothing to do with working hard.
Now that's very true whenever anyone says they worked hard for their riches I get a bit miffed and think what do they think we did all our lives and we haven't managed to get half what they did.
Dextrous63
Chatterbox
Manchester, UK

17-01-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Now that's very true whenever anyone says they worked hard for their riches I get a bit miffed and think what do they think we did all our lives and we haven't managed to get half what they did.
There's a line in Citizen Kane in which his lawyer friend says something along the line of anyone can make a lot of money if that's all you want to do. I suspect there's a lot of truth in that

The reason why the likes of you or I don't amass large amounts of cash is because we have other things which we want to do which have nothing to do with making money.

The guy in the clip is saying that if one is brought up in a given circumstance then it will be first (and not second) nature to either remain/become rich or wallow elsewhere. It does make sense if one considers (eg) the parallel of an awful lot of professional musicians (indeed "geniuses" in their field) coming from musician families.
Azure
Chatterbox
South Glos
Azure is female  Azure has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-01-2019, 10:44 PM

It is a fact that many rich people are born with a silver spoon in their mouths, and they do not have to work hard.
Also, there are many multi-millionaires that can't read or write but have staff that do all that for them and they are brilliant at making money and the more money one makes the more that money rolls in. They have £1 coins and £20 notes in their eyes
Their only ambition is to make more money.

The Media ask as a hypnotist, by constantly promoting you, saying you are very good at your work when you are plainly a not, like all the Singers who can't sing or Actors who can't
and Artist who paint rubbish and sell for thousands because a Critic says your art is wonderful.

Many make £millions by riding roughshod over people and get away with it in the UK.

If you make a video like Dr Bruce, you will become rich.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK

18-01-2019, 06:49 AM

With all due respect I just don't belive there are many multi millionaires who can't read or write .

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top