Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:30 AM

Open-plan Gardens

Back in the 60's a lot of new build estates had open plan gardens. I remember my sister telling me they weren't allowed to put up fences.

It would drive me mad having people and dogs etc. straying onto my garden.
I didn't realise that these gardens were still not fenced. I thought by now people would have sneaked fences up.

Who decides? Is it a council rule?
Have you got an open plan garden or ever had one and how do you like it?

Do they still build like that?
I can see how it work work for sheltered housing, where the coucil mow the grass, but, I wouldn't like it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:35 AM

Re: Open-plan Gardens

Some gardens still have evidence of the old chicken wire fences, left in place long after wooden fences have been erected. I can remember both my grandparents' houses having these originally but I can't say I remember any gardens that were completely open plan. I have seen them on TV however, even now there are some like it where houses share a garden. I wouldn't like that at all.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 09:58 AM

I would hate an open plan garden - my friends in Stamford Bridge have one and it seems to be an open invitation to every dog in the place. Even though most dog owners clear up the faeces - there is still the smell. On a warm day it is vile.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 10:02 AM

They could put pepper on their lawns it would discourage the dogs.
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 11:31 AM

The houses and bungalows in our Close were built in the late 60's/early 70's (I think). They all have fully enclosed and private gardens at the back but still have open plan front gardens. I don't mind it and neither does anyone by the looks of it. No one has attempted to put a fence, wall or hedge along their boundaries.

Quite good in as much as everyone's garden layout and flowers can be seen when walking and down the road. It's quite a colourful place at certain times of the year.

I have seen poo on the grass at the front but this is a rarity. I think it may have been from cats or foxes that often won't be kept out by boundaries anyway.
pauline3
Chatterbox
Hampshire UK
pauline3 is female  pauline3 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 11:48 AM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
Back in the 60's a lot of new build estates had open plan gardens. I remember my sister telling me they weren't allowed to put up fences.

It would drive me mad having people and dogs etc. straying onto my garden.
I didn't realise that these gardens were still not fenced. I thought by now people would have sneaked fences up.

Who decides? Is it a council rule?
Have you got an open plan garden or ever had one and how do you like it?

Do they still build like that?
I can see how it work work for sheltered housing, where the coucil mow the grass, but, I wouldn't like it.

They still build like that,Tessa,..new builds near me,they are all built so close together,the frontage is like a play area,enclosed in,..so many small signs on the grass,belonging to the houses,asking you to respect that people live there,..I can't remember the exact wording on the signs,..it's like being in a sardine can.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by mart ->
The houses and bungalows in our Close were built in the late 60's/early 70's (I think). They all have fully enclosed and private gardens at the back but still have open plan front gardens. I don't mind it and neither does anyone by the looks of it. No one has attempted to put a fence, wall or hedge along their boundaries.

Quite good in as much as everyone's garden layout and flowers can be seen when walking and down the road. It's quite a colourful place at certain times of the year.

I have seen poo on the grass at the front but this is a rarity. I think it may have been from cats or foxes that often won't be kept out by boundaries anyway.

Yes Mart, my first house was the same & that estate is considered one of the most desirable in the area!
It was built 47 years ago and is still as lovely today, so it isn't the "open plan" that ruins gardens, it is the people that live there!
I have never seen any poo left on peoples gardens, despite most people having pets....but there again it is down to the people who live there!
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 12:22 PM

Quite so!
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 12:22 PM

My road had open plan front gardens, no fences or hedges, or walls allowed when we moved in, it was in the deeds. How it has changed in 40 odd years. Most people have got hedges or walls now, the deeds said no plants over three feet high, my front garden has a huge Magnolia tree in it. Most houses now have mature trees. Some have made a hard standing & put caravans or campers or even vans on them, that wasn't allowed either.
We have a double drive for two cars side by side, taking part of the front garden, changed when my late OH built the front porch & utility at the side of the house. The people in the 2 bungalows opposite can't do that as the bungalows are semi & they haven't as much front garden as we had originally, yet those were dearer to buy than our semi house.
So in conclusion, after several years it doesn't seem to matter what the deeds say not to do, people do their own thing & no one worries about it.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-04-2019, 12:40 PM

So could someone put up a 6ft fence in theory? I seem to remember our house had some sort of clause about no plants over 3ft tall but it was only for five years and that was 140 years ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top