Join for free
Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 10:12 PM

Re: Treacle and Golden Syrup

I used to love warm treacle tart. Could not think of anything more delicious with some custard or cream. Why is it that the thought of it now is so unappealing? Perhaps our bodies tell us what they need at different times in our lives. Treacle tart is so full of sugar and I guess as you get older too much sugar is no longer tolerated.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by Pesta ->
Carnation was evaporated milk I think .

Mags just reminded, it was condensed milk
Carnation is something I would want to drink from the tin as a child. I did it once with half a tin and was really unwell.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 11:49 PM

Never liked Virol - but loved plain Malt - still do!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 11:54 PM

Thank goodness I was never given Cod liver oil
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2019, 11:56 PM

Carnation - evaporated milk - on tinned fruit - was mother's idea of a pudding.

Nestle - condensed milk - which was thicker - she used to make the most revolting blancmange.

Nestle - tinned 'cream' - very thick (and horrid) she used in scones with jam. Now been replaced by the equally horrid 'squirty' stuff.
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 09:05 AM

All those puddings and biscuits that people have posted sound delicious. Treacle I find a little sickly sweet for me though.
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 09:17 AM

I used to love treacle on bread as a kid, especially a crust. I haven't had any since a kid and I m not one for puddings

I remember spreading treacle on dry Weetabix, jam too

I also remember my mum giving me a spoon of malt and cod liver oil, I loved it. Mum used to say it was to build me up because I was skinny, trouble is, it built me up too much!
Ffosse
Chatterbox
Edinburgh
Ffosse is male  Ffosse has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
I used to love treacle on bread as a kid, especially a crust. I haven't had any since a kid and I m not one for puddings

I remember spreading treacle on dry Weetabix, jam too

I also remember my mum giving me a spoon of malt and cod liver oil, I loved it. Mum used to say it was to build me up because I was skinny, trouble is, it built me up too much!
I'm sure you look just fine.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-03-2019, 08:38 PM

I can still remember the jar of malt extract in the large kitchen larder, and thought it was vile.

As for treacle, I have often had a can of the black variety in stock, for when I make bread pudding. Had to have a clear out though so none in my kitchen ATM.

Loved Mum’s suet puds with treacle drizzled over it. When she made a spotted dick, she stuck a plain bit for me on the end.

And on very rare occasions I’ll have treacle sponge and custard in a Toby.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-03-2019, 12:21 AM

Virol (yum) and cod-liver oil (yuk). The CLO was a small spherical ball and was dispensed on a teaspoon of sugar to make it taste better. It didn't work - still shudder at the memory.

BTW. Carnation milk is nice when used in rice puddings with a drop of milk added. Who needs Ambrosia Devon cream rice when you've got that.

Page 4 of 5 « First < 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top