Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 10:23 PM

Beware of the trains.

In the grounds of the retirement village and nursing home where R Mar lives, is this superbly preserved old station. Originally belonging to the Somerset and Dorset Railway, it later became part of the GWR before BR took it over and then closed the line in 1963.

This forms part of the famous Strawberry Line which is now a footpath and cycleway running through the beautiful county of Somersetshire.

Main station building and "Lamp Hut", with Sentinel quarry engine, trucks and carriage in GWR colours.

The original "Running In Board" (station sign) was found in three pieces but was welded back together and put back in it's original position after many decades.

The Lamp Hut is now a kitchen and tea room.

The Station Master.

Local Quarry Wagon and selection of tools. Stone form this quarry was used to build Avonmouth Docks. My parents used to live in one of the apartments in the background. What a fantastic view they had of the station!

Luggage barrow.

Through the window.

Ticket office.

Waiting Room.

The Goods shed, which is now a restaurant for the retirement village residents. The food is extremely good!

The original door has been retained as a feature inside on its runners in the open position.

Marjorie, and gingerbread. In 1960, three quarry wagons broke free and ran downhill into the station, crashing right through the front and back of the goods shed before demolishing the Lamp Hut. The hut was rebuilt to its original specifications... three years before the line closed.

After my tour of the station I went for a walk along the old track bed.

View from the station.

Behind the retirement village and next to the track bed, one of the many Thatcher's Cider orchards, with the roof of one of the cider manufactory buildings in the background.

Various views along the line of the old permanent way.

Difficult to make out, but in the middle of this picture is an abandoned and much overgrown old muck spreader.

A bridge to nowhere.

Another bridge. Note the lambs' tails on the willow tree in front of the structure.

Looking back at the same bridge.

A view towards the M5. Well it's there somewhere this side of the big hill in the background.

I have no idea what these sculptures are supposed to represent.

Part of Winscombe station building laid flat.

The station platform, now part of a pleasant picnic area.

Heading towards Cheddar.

Ships, grazing.

Shute Shelve tunnel.

Light at the end of the tunnel.

An unusual information board explaining how the tunnel was dug.

You can just make out water continuously dripping down over this greenery to the side of the tunnel mouth.

At this point I had been woalking for three quarters of an hour and needed to head back to see my Mum again before heading home.

Trees in a beautiful garden by the side of the railway.

More of the garden.

Back at the picnic area, one of the locals having afternoon tea.

You still can't see the Motorway.

Two more views along the line.

After seeing my Mum again I passed these members of the public on my way home.

The caption reads, The Angel From My Nightmare.

He looks nervous.

Donald who?

After that, it was time for me to head home for tea.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 10:50 PM

Re: Beware of the trains.

Wow - what a fabulous set of photos, Fruitcake, and what a lovely, interesting, place! Thank you so much for sharing them with us.
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:25 PM

Ooo you could've walked a bit further and met me for coffee!
Lovely photos!
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-03-2019, 11:33 PM

Absolutely love it Fruity.
I so love history.
I feel like I have been with you today.
I also love the humour you inject in your threads. I hope your Ma had a lovely visit from you.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 12:22 AM

Yes great set of pictures, must have taken ages to post on here. Well done.
If you ever go to the midlands spend a day at the Black Country Museum. they have moved and rebuilt old buildings into a town with shops- workshops - a coal mine you can go in . it has everything one would expect to see in the 1920 era.

I think you would love it. even go on canal boat under Dudley castle
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 03:41 PM

Lovely place to visit, Fruitcake, not heard of it before. Are the murals by Banksy?
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 04:43 PM

I have no idea who did the murials.

The station museum is open to the public from Easter to September at weekends.
Tiffany
Chatterbox
Devon
Tiffany is female  Tiffany has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I have no idea who did the murials.

The station museum is open to the public from Easter to September at weekends.
I love that you call them murials too, but this time I did use the right word.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 05:10 PM

Excellent Fruity. You deserve a medal!
mart
Chatterbox
South of England
mart is male  mart has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-03-2019, 05:22 PM

Great photos. Thanks for the guided tour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top