Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:40 AM

Re: What Makes You, You?

Originally Posted by summer ->
Is it the environment you are born into....and your family that makes you who you are.....

I once read we have a genetic memory too that can't be escaped but can be built on...interesting question. So it's your ancestors and all their experiences that have brought us to this place.....YOU
I agree with Summer I think to a large extent 'what make you you ' is mostly down to your life experiences which shape not only your personality but your health.

There is also a degree of influence from our inherited genes and any 'defects' we have at birth from chemical imbalances in our brains affecting our behaviour to personality disorders.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 10:53 AM

I think that it's what is in the brain that makes you who you are.

But I've wondered what would happen if you had a brain transplant.

Would the donor person's memories be there - or are they wiped out?

Might you become left handed, etc.?

Interesting.
Mr Ploppy
Chatterbox
Perth Western Australia, 3rd house on the right
Mr Ploppy is male  Mr Ploppy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 11:03 AM

They say, be yourself, you can't be anyone else. So, I'll be me and won't try to be you.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 08:00 PM

Good thoughts here. No doubt that we are a combination of nurture, nature (genes), and environment. I have seen through family members and friends that even though we are what we are, we can be changed also be changed, sometimes permanently, by disease.

Then there is the question of what we are or aren't before and after we are born. Big questions.

I started this thread because I've really been bothered by two different studies one is the possibility that within our grandchidren's lifetimes, they may be able to have microchips implanted that will enable them to save data - like something they have learned, and this new study in which mouse brain stem cells are being used to generate brains.

The costs and morality of this kind of research just bothers me on a very deep level - both for the animals and for humanity.
d00d
Chatterbox
London, UK
d00d is male  d00d has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 08:30 PM

What Makes You, You?

soul .... I like to think.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 08:55 PM

Hi

DNA, in my case mostly defective, upbringing and life experiences.

I agree with Surfermum on the dangers of where we are going.

There is an inherent danger in somethings that humans do.

Weaponising bacteria for example.

Our commonsense has not caught up with our scientific advances.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 09:11 PM

https://waitbutwhy.com/2014/12/what-makes-you-you.html
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I do happen to believe we exist beyond the physical, Surfermom, and so I would say it's our soul that makes us who we are Plus life experiences too.
I like this belief Mupsy x
Lion Queen
Chatterbox
UK
Lion Queen is female  Lion Queen has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

21-03-2019, 09:28 PM

I think what makes me, me is partly my upbringing, my lifes experiences and my interactions with people along lifes path.

I have noticed that I have changed as a person since my sister died, I'm not the person I was when she was here.

How people treat you can change you so I think people should always think about their actions and how it might affect someone because not doing so can ruin a persons life and make a once happy person a very angry individual making for a different 'me'
Psmith
melbourne australia
Psmith is male  Psmith has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-03-2019, 05:27 AM

I think every idea, including the existence of god,religion and the soul,has been created by the human brain.
Somethings like jellyfish don't have brains but seem to manage OK.

(No Trump jokes please)

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top