Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 06:31 PM

Re: Driving into London? Think twice before doing so …

Originally Posted by Chillie6 ->
Bath has introduced a clear air zone link for anyone interested

https://beta.bathnes.gov.uk/check-yo...hicle%20online
"Charges do not apply to private cars and motorbikes, even if they’re used for work."

It seems that most of the above are not charged. I checked using our registration number and we are not subject to charge.

Having said that, I wonder what sort of cars will be subject to charge. It's not very specific.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
"Charges do not apply to private cars and motorbikes, even if they’re used for work."

It seems that most of the above are not charged. I checked using our registration number and we are not subject to charge.

Having said that, I wonder what sort of cars will be subject to charge. It's not very specific.
Probably everything that is not exempt in some way, possibly by way of low emissions, electric vehicles or others that are exempt for some valid reason, will be charged.

I don't really know exactly and what is more I do not wish to as I will never go into London again or anywhere else with a 'clean air zone'. 25 years of working in London was more than enough for one lifetime I reckon.

Just checked my car and there's no charge for Bath, but £8 a day for Birmingham and no charge for Portsmouth. Nothing like a bit of confusion to add to the mix is there!
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Baz46 ->
Probably everything that is not exempt in some way, possibly by way of low emissions, electric vehicles or others that are exempt for some valid reason, will be charged.
Ours is a VW 1.6 Petrol and I'm pretty sure it's not particularly low emission.
Not complaining of course.

As for Birmingham, no thanks.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 08:08 PM

I also worked and drove through central London for about fifteen years but eventually couldn't wait to move out due to the ridiculous parking restrictions. Warden would be round every day, sometimes followed by the tow trucks which would take cars to the police pound. I got towed away twice.

London was once a great place to work and I even enjoyed the 'buzz' of driving through places like Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus.

Couldn't give a toss now though. Cars are £12.50 plus the so called congestion charge, that's £27.50 per day.

Lorries are charged £100 per day for ULEZ.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

20-07-2021, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I also worked and drove through central London for about fifteen years but eventually couldn't wait to move out due to the ridiculous parking restrictions. Warden would be round every day, sometimes followed by the tow trucks which would take cars to the police pound. I got towed away twice.

London was once a great place to work and I even enjoyed the 'buzz' of driving through places like Trafalgar Square and Piccadilly Circus.

Couldn't give a toss now though. Cars are £12.50 plus the so called congestion charge, that's £27.50 per day.

Lorries are charged £100 per day for ULEZ.
I assume that lorries delivering goods to retailers or customers in Londonistan therefore charge extra to cover their additional congestion charges. They wouldn't do it for nothing and make a loss, would they?

Those charges, then, would be added to delivery costs so everyone who buys (or sells) those goods would also be paying.

I can only assume that either people can easily afford these additional costs or are perhaps considering the wisdom of moving out of the area.

I suppose that eventually, only the filthy rich would remain in Londonistan. Others would sell their properties to other filthy rich buyers and move to more outlying areas. It sounds like a double benefit, as the money they'd make from their houses/shops/etc, would buy an even nicer/bigger house in the Home Counties. I would anyway.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 09:42 PM

I assume that lorries delivering goods to retailers or customers in Londonistan therefore charge extra to cover their additional congestion charges. They wouldn't do it for nothing and make a loss, would they?

Those charges, then, would be added to delivery costs so everyone who buys (or sells) those goods would also be paying.

I can only assume that either people can easily afford these additional costs or are perhaps considering the wisdom of moving out of the area.

I suppose that eventually, only the filthy rich would remain in Londonistan. Others would sell their properties to other filthy rich buyers and move to more outlying areas. It sounds like a double benefit, as the money they'd make from their houses/shops/etc, would buy an even nicer/bigger house in the Home Counties. I would anyway.
I can't say whether costs are more in London, I assume that all supermarket prices are the same for instance but I suppose the added cost will be spread among the rest of the Country.
Baz46
Somewhere rural 'out in the sticks', UK
Baz46 is male  Baz46 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-07-2021, 11:13 PM

Ours is a VW 1.6 Petrol and I'm pretty sure it's not particularly low emission.
Not complaining of course.

As for Birmingham, no thanks.
My car is also a VW Golf, a 1.6TDi, the diesel version of your's and is a low emission vehicle, it's one of those that doesn't have Vehicle Excise Duty applied. The letter received about the ULEZ was sent because of that plus there was comment regarding the year of manufacture. Those like mine, manufactured before 2015 may or may not be charged in the new expanded ULEZ, depending on the engine it has. I was advised to contact a VW main dealer to find out.

As I will never drive into London again there is little point in finding out. Perhaps I might if I am at the main dealers but I will not be making any special effort to find out.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

21-07-2021, 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I can't say whether costs are more in London, I assume that all supermarket prices are the same for instance but I suppose the added cost will be spread among the rest of the Country.
So we all pay for Khan't frivolities?

I wonder what he's going to do with all the extra money he raises. Buy himself a new gas-guzzler?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

21-07-2021, 09:36 AM

So we all pay for Khan't frivolities?

I wonder what he's going to do with all the extra money he raises. Buy himself a new gas-guzzler?
being

It wouldn't surprise me. After all, he is probably exempt from the charge, him being so important and all that.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top