Join for free
Page 4 of 33 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 09:43 AM

Re: Scottish Referendum.

Personally I await the result of the vote with some interest. Perhaps Mel Gibs... sorry, William Wallace's time has finally come after 700 years(?).

I wonder if the Commonwealth Games will have a flow on effect to the vote? If the result is 'Yes' will the GB flag (won't be the UK will it?) have to lose the blue bits?

Mind you I can't see it being a 'yes' vote myself but I could be wrong (I was once)
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 02:55 PM

I can understand the Scottish people being reticent..

Cameron has made it clear he would like them to stay..but if you leave, you will be on your own..e.g. ''you may not use the pound as your currency''..

Salmond's promises have not made a great deal of impact..

He is taking them into a financial void!!
Pappy
Scotland UK
Pappy is male  Pappy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:00 PM

That's the nub of it Lilac. It's a void of a different number of dimensions. To me the independence message seems to be, 'We want to go but we'll keep all the good bits.'
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:36 PM

It will affect benefits..housing...Is Scotland ready with a plan? I don't think so...

They are afraid of cutting the apron strings..

And I don't blame them..
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:56 PM

Sorry Losos, my post didn't read very well. It is only my opinion, but I think there deals to be done, or have already been agreed.

If Scotland decides to stay within the UK, they will get more devolved powers which is what I believe most people actually want.
If they vote for independance, there may be a trade off in areas such as defence in return for monetary union with the rest of the UK.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 09:21 PM

How do YOU know what MOST PEOPLE ACTUALLY WANT?....You don't know...No-One does!!...And No-one will ACTUALLY know until the deed is done.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 09:23 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
It will affect benefits..housing...Is Scotland ready with a plan? I don't think so...

They are afraid of cutting the apron strings..

And I don't blame them..
And YOU know ALL about Scottish Politics I assume....Don't make Me laugh
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 10:26 AM

This is a letter posted on the Yes Campaign Site, from a Doctor in England and a True Blue Tory.

Chris Forester Dear people of Scotland;

Respectfully, I’m the opposite of you. I’m English and grew up in the south east. I’m very Conservative – not just a voter – I’ve even been a Councillor. We’re worlds apart on values and on outlook.

Of course, it’s your decision and my opinion doesn’t matter. But if you asked me, I’d say: vote YES. What we need is an amicable and respectful separation from which a new, fairer friendship and partnership can emerge in which both our countries are finally, equal.

All I’ve seen from the “no” campaign is people trying to scare you for the sake of their own personal ambitions. Ed Miliband wants to scare you because he can’t win in England without you, and all he really wants is the keys to No 10. David Cameron wants to scare you because he doesn’t want to lose face. None of them really care about the Scottish people, from where I sit in the cosy south of England. At all.

The fact is though, they’re bluffing. Badly. With any separation there will, no doubt, be teething troubles and negotiations. But if the separation is the right thing to do, however difficult, a few years down the line, you look back and realise it was the right decision. You’ve moved on and your life is better. You can hold your head up high.

They’re bluffing about all of it – the currency, the jobs. Because the simple economic truth is that Britain is not going to do anything to damage the Scottish economy after independence that doesn’t also damage itself just as much. The Westminster politicians aren’t stupid. You’ll get the pound if you want it. You’ll keep the jobs and those you lose will be replaced by new investment because you’ll get to chart your own course.

What they’re not telling you is that most of us English folk would like to see it happen too. Like I said, I’m an English Conservative. Respectfully, our values and outlooks are very, very different. I understand that you don’t want your destinies ruled by English Conservatives in Westminster because you must be aware they don’t care about Scotland at all. Hopefully you’ll understand when I say: for England, most of us actually want a Conservative government. We don’t want Labour in power because of its Scottish MPs. That doesn’t reflect our true values any more than the current position reflects yours.

If you vote YES, Scotland will breathe free and will be, truly, Scotland. It’s ironic that the unintended consequence of this will be that England, too, will be able to go its own way. Your cousins across the border will actually be, well, a little grateful. It could be the start of something we badly need down here: better representation, more regionalism, more localism.

The campaign slogan for the NO vote is “Better Together”. But you can’t be together if one if you is not respected and has no rights, if one partner isn’t even recognised as an individual. Surely we’d really be better together if we were both truly ourselves: Scotland and England, equal but distinct, individual; true partners for the first time.

Like I said, my opinion doesn’t matter. I wish you all well.

Kind regards

Dr Chris Forester
Unlike · Reply · 372 · about an hour ago
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 10:29 AM

I'm just haudin ma wheesht to see what the outcome is.
Roxy
Chatterbox
Caithness.
Roxy is female  Roxy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-09-2014, 10:37 AM

Yes Alice, I've kept quiet too, but I've been following both the Yes and No Pages with rapt attention. Things are going to get very interesting from here on in I think....Especially after reading the Poll in the News today.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-29096458

Page 4 of 33 « First < 2 3 4 5 6 14 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top