Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Re: Flour Weevils.

I make my bread using organic flour and in the past have found weevils and a moth in bags all sent to the manufacturer.

One sent me back 6 bags of various kinds of flour but I didn't fancy them .
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:48 PM

It doesn't always happen in flour..looking at my local fishmonger's display..my favourite is cod..I could see small black worms writhing within the cod fillets..when I pointed it out..the fishmonger said ''yes..cod is full of worms''
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by lilac ->
It doesn't always happen in flour..looking at my local fishmonger's display..my favourite is cod..I could see small black worms writhing within the cod fillets..when I pointed it out..the fishmonger said ''yes..cod is full of worms''
OMG that's revolting......
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 04:00 PM

http://www.netmums.com/coffeehouse/h...h-cod-all.html
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 04:02 PM

Yes this is so. Years ago we used to get trays of cod for the dogs and it often contained worms usually white ones.
lilac
West yorks uk

03-08-2014, 04:12 PM

Do you think that they gave any harm..once they were cooked?
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire

03-08-2014, 04:15 PM

Do you think that they gave any harm..once they were cooked?
No Lilac I think they are ok when cooked just not very pleasant.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 04:27 PM

Omg...
When I called a bug man, he said they were ''Farinettes''.. Farine being the French for flour!
I doubt if you could see them on the floor, I could barely make them out on top of the white flour they are so tiny.
lilac
West yorks uk

03-08-2014, 04:33 PM

No..these were medium sized...maybe that was their eggs or newly born..
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Alan Cooke ->
I doubt if you could see them on the floor, I could barely make them out on top of the white flour they are so tiny.
Flour mites or Psocids are common but harmless insects. They are from the same family as booklice. They like to live in the folds of paper packets etc., and actually feed on the glue. They are difficult to detect because they are only 1 to 2 mm long. They would certainly not be visible on the floor.

They are not a sign of poor hygiene.

Check everything else in the cupboard. Any dry goods that look alright can be placed in a plastic bag and left in a deep freezer for 24 hours. This will kill any eggs. Food in cans and bottles will still be all right but make sure that there are no insects hiding under the labels.

Clean out all the dust, crumbs etc. then make sure the cupboard is completely dry before using it again. Any foodstuff that comes in packets should be stored in jars, tins or other airtight containers.

Often modern kitchen cupboards are made from chipboard which is left unsealed at the back, Psocids will live there happily! If yours are like that you may want to seal the insides with a little mastic.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top