Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 12:30 PM

Flour Weevils.

How can we have reached the age of 80+ and have only just learned that bags of flour can be contaminated with flour weevils ? Sheila has just thrown away 5 bags of flour which all have the weevils in them. Apparently it is quite common and the little devils are very persistent. In the article which I've just read it suggests that freezing newly purchased flour for 3 days kills any weevils and their eggs so that is what we will do in future.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 12:37 PM

Re: Flour Weevils.

We threw away many bags of flour when we lived in Kenya, those weevil things would be rampaging through the flour within a day. Here in Spain I have only had to throw away 2 bags. Thank you for the tip on freezing the flour, I shall give that a try too.
Pappy
Scotland UK
Pappy is male  Pappy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 12:38 PM

I've often wondered where they came from Alan. Now I know. Who'd have thought it possible with modern technology? It just shows that we don't know what we're eating!
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
We threw away many bags of flour when we lived in Kenya, those weevil things would be rampaging through the flour within a day. Here in Spain I have only had to throw away 2 bags. Thank you for the tip on freezing the flour, I shall give that a try too.
I found the same living in South Africa. I have to admit though a couple of times when I've been sailing with my son I have used the flour .... after sieving it ... not much option when there are no shops in the middle of the ocean. We survived!
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by ZsaZsa ->
I found the same living in South Africa. I have to admit though a couple of times when I've been sailing with my son I have used the flour .... after sieving it ... not much option when there are no shops in the middle of the ocean. We survived!
I googled "Flour Weevils" and there were quite a few articles about the pest. Apparently they are not harmful but it's not very nice to think you are eating 1000s of the little blighters. Freezing newly purchased bags of flour and storing it in sealed jars should eliminate them.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 01:59 PM

I lived over a bakery in Marseilles..one night I got up..turned on the light in the kitchen to get a drink of water..

As soon as the light went on I could see small beetles everywhere which ran away quickly in the light..

I don't know what they were...Are these ''flour weevils?'' as there was a bread bakery underneath?
ZsaZsa
Miskolc Hungary
ZsaZsa is female  ZsaZsa has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 02:20 PM

Lilac .... They were probably cockroaches.
lilac
West yorks uk
lilac is female  lilac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 02:30 PM

Omg...
When I called a bug man, he said they were ''Farinettes''.. Farine being the French for flour!
Myra
Chatterbox
my wee toon
Myra is female  Myra has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 02:47 PM

My dad talks of them when he was in Italy whilst in the Army. He said the flour bags were full of them
Tess
Midlothian Scotland UK
Tess is female  Tess has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-08-2014, 03:39 PM

Hmmmm haven't baked in ages as there is no one to eat the end product as I no longer eat baked stuff and my daughter is healthy eating too. Looked in the sealed storage jar of flour and saw the little beggars moving around.....fair gave me the creeps......but I did know about such things before seeing this thread but had forgotten.....needless to say the flour's in the bin.....does the same thing happen with cornflour?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top