Join for free
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 02:48 PM

Perfectly reasonable for me to forward on PPE offer - Hancock

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-57134060

Health Secretary Matt Hancock has defended his role in helping a former Conservative minister try to secure a PPE deal at the start of the pandemic.

The Sunday Times reported Mr Hancock "personally intervened" to help Brooks Newmark in getting the £180m deal.

The Sunday Times published a series of emails between Mr Hancock and Mr Newmark, the former civil society minister who resigned in 2014 after sending sexually explicit photographs of himself to an undercover journalist.

The paper reported that in May 2020 Mr Newmark teamed up with Zoe Ley, the owner of a dog food company who had set up a firm, Life Partners, to broker PPE deals for international supplies.

It said Mr Newmark first emailed the health secretary on 27 May, detailing a proposal explaining he had links to a "well connected and powerful" person in China but that he needed government help in accelerating deals.

The Sunday Times said Mr Hancock replied: "Thanks. Definitely one for the PPE team who are firing on all cylinders now."

The newspaper said the Department of Health awarded a £178m contract for protective goggles to the firm on 1 June.

Marr read out a message from Mr Hancock's aide to Lord Deighton, [UJ]the Government's PPE tsar[/U], in which the proposal was labelled "excellent" and noted that Mr Hancock hoped it could be looked at "urgently".

But Mr Hancock denied that any special treatment was given.
The latest development comes after an original investigation by the BBC's Panorama programme in March found Ms Ley had secured contracts worth £258m between the government and a Hong Kong firm.

The programme revealed Ms Ley was likely to have been paid at last £1m by the firm for her work in securing the deals last spring when the UK was short of PPE.
Money for chums via a dog food company owner .....
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 04:20 PM

Re: Perfectly reasonable for me to forward on PPE offer - Hancock

What Mr. Hancock did was perfectly reasonable in my opinion. During this pandemic, Labour, it's political allies and supporters have poured scorn and a tirade of abuse towards the government over it's handling and preparation of PPE. Now we see reports coming from the tabloid press of ex ministers and ex party members contacting current minsters regarding PPE and the companies they are associated with and again we see Labour, it's political allies and supporters pouring scorn on the government.

Just what exactly is it that the Labour party want the government to actually do? In a time of crisis only use PPE businesses that have no links to any past or present conservative party member? and we all know what would have happened if the government ignored these business, Labour would have jumped on it and complained that the government is causing a PPE crisis by not using these companies.

All Labour is doing is trying to score political points, if the government use the PPE companies, they are accused of impropriety and if they ignored the PPE companies, they would be accused of causing the PPE crisis.
Percy Vere
Wilds and woolly wastes of Staffordshire, UK
Percy Vere is male  Percy Vere has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Dodge ->
What Mr. Hancock did was perfectly reasonable in my opinion. During this pandemic, Labour, it's political allies and supporters have poured scorn and a tirade of abuse towards the government over it's handling and preparation of PPE. Now we see reports coming from the tabloid press of ex ministers and ex party members contacting current minsters regarding PPE and the companies they are associated with and again we see Labour, it's political allies and supporters pouring scorn on the government.

Just what exactly is it that the Labour party want the government to actually do? In a time of crisis only use PPE businesses that have no links to any past or present conservative party member? and we all know what would have happened if the government ignored these business, Labour would have jumped on it and complained that the government is causing a PPE crisis by not using these companies.

All Labour is doing is trying to score political points, if the government use the PPE companies, they are accused of impropriety and if they ignored the PPE companies, they would be accused of causing the PPE crisis.
I think they're just pissed off because none of THEIR friends and relations got a look in as far as PPE contracts were concerned.
Dodge
Kent, UK
Dodge is male  Dodge has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 04:35 PM

Originally Posted by Percy Vere ->
I think they're just pissed off because none of THEIR friends and relations got a look in as far as PPE contracts were concerned.

I have no doubt that during Blair and Brown's term in office they never gave any government contracts to anyone connected to or associated with the conservative party. Labour will think outing the government over links to PPE will score them political points. It wont because both of the major parties have failed to realise that a lot of the voting public just do not care over this persistent political grandstanding.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-05-2021, 05:15 PM

As far as I can see in the reports, no Labour Party connection is mentioned, apart from, possibly comments. The initial investigation was by the BBC and the Sunday Times has followed it up.

The scale of cronyism and corruption within the Tory government is almost beyond belief - in just over one year, BJ and his cohorts have distributed £30,200,000,000 in COVID contracts, mostly, it now appears, to cronies or friends of cronies. 63% of this value has been awarded for products and supplies, while 36% was dedicated to procuring services.

Hancock has already been found guilty of acting unlawfully over pandemic contracts:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-56125462

In his ruling, Mr Justice Chamberlain said: "There is now no dispute that, in a substantial number of cases, the secretary of state breached his legal obligation to publish contract award notices within 30 days of the award of contracts.

"There is also no dispute that the secretary of state failed to publish redacted contracts in accordance with the transparency policy."

The judge said the health secretary had spent "vast quantities" of public money on Covid-related goods and services during 2020.

"The public were entitled see who this money was going to, what it was being spent on and how the relevant contracts were awarded," he added.
Hancock, is of course, a "mate" of Alex Bourne, who used to run the Cock Inn near the health secretary’s old constituency home in Thurlow - he won about £30m of work producing the test tubes despite having no prior experience in the medical devices industry - that connection is, AFAIK, is on the "inquiry" list .....
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow

16-05-2021, 06:07 PM

More detail:

https://news.sky.com/story/perfectly...ncock-12308062

Within emails from May last year disclosed under the Freedom of Information Act, Mr Newmark is said to have sent Mr Hancock details of his proposal.

After a reply from Mr Newmark, in which he asked for someone to "lead the charge" in exploring his proposal, an aide to Mr Hancock is then said to have forwarded the proposal to Lord Deighton, the government's PPE tsar.

"Please see below from former MP Brooks Newmark... an excellent PPE proposal that the health secretary and I would be very grateful if Lord Deighton could look into urgently," the 28 May (Thursday) email said.

The Sunday Times said, on 1 June (Monday), the Department of Health then directly awarded a £178m contract for protective goggles to the firm, invoking emergency procurement rules to avoid a tender.
Not much time taken there then to "look into" Newmark's proposal .....

In fact, just about time to "rubber-stamp" it .....
Bread
Chatterbox
Sudbury, United Kingdom
Bread is male  Bread has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-05-2021, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Omah ->
More detail:

https://news.sky.com/story/perfectly...ncock-12308062

Not much time taken there then to "look into" Newmark's proposal .....

In fact, just about time to "rubber-stamp" it .....

What would you have done under the circumstances then Captain Hindsight ?

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top